What's new
What's new

Procunier size 1 style EX tapper. How does it work?

Vernon Tuck

Stainless
Gentlemen,

During Christmas I bought a vintage tapping head on ebay and it has now arrived.

I found on PM, and read, some fairly recent discussions on these. Also, Tubalcain published a youtube video demonstration on using one with a drill press.

Tubalcain's unit had a drive shaft, possibly even a morse taper, that he inserted into his drill press. It also had a steel rod connected to it that prevented the mechanism from spinning with the drill press spindle, thus enabling it to work it's tapping magic.

The one I bought however, is different. It appears to have a splined drive which is down inside sort of a "bell housing". From what I've gathered reading the PM discussions, this "bell housing" is intended to mount straight to the quill of the drill press.

I'm fairly unclear on how the thing mounts to the quill. But I'm totally in the dark as to how motive force is applied to the unit. I assume there is a part or a piece that I don't have. If that's the case, it would be helpful to know what it is, what it's called, and where to find one or how to make our own.

So, to be clear, down inside the drive end of the thing is a sort of flanged drive "shaft". Actually, it's not really a "shaft" because the only protrusions from it are two slight lugs or ears or "bosses" that stand proud to the machined face. These are 180 degrees apart. So, really it's like a "drive flange".

I found a Procunier manual online. It appears to be for the "EX" style but I suspect this unit is quite a bit older than the ones pictured.

Does anybody in here have one or otherwise have light to shine on this?

Thanks,

Vernon

Last edited:
I don't have an EX, but I've used a similar tapping head in the past.

Your quill doesn't rotate. Clamping the bell housing to the quill has the same mechanical effect as holding steady the straight reaction rod in the more familiar models.

For the drive, make a simple adapter that mates with the drive flange on one end and chuck the other end.

Mystery solved.

This critter was designed to fit the quill of a certain old Delta 14" d/p. The drive plate mates to the studded end of the spindle.

V

Back