What's new
What's new

Source for 1235 Aluminum round stock?

oxford

Cast Iron
Does anyone have a source for 1235 aluminum alloy round stock? I need to finish at 43mm dia and 50mm long and 8pcs. I have no idea what it is for, the lab just said they wanted it. It looks like 1145 alloy may be an acceptable replacement for the 1235. The 1235/1145 is more common in foil/sheet stock, not so much barstock. Any help would be appreciated.

Next question is, if I can even find this what kind of job is it going to be machining this alloy? I am sure tolerances will be fairly loose on OD and length but there also needs to be a 2mm hole, 25mm deep in the center of it.

First confirm the material.
Sometimes 'lab' people get carried away with extreme performance or chemical specs and totally ignore availability.
Reasonable 'lab' people will understand.
Otherwise you might have to get some ridiculous quote from a mill for a special run.

Did you quote this job already?

1235 is the material they(customer possibly) want, the guy in the lab is looking into what other grades would be acceptable. I don't ask too many questions, just tell me want you want done. I think the lab is aware that it may not be possible to get the 1235, I was just looking for an avenue for it.

No quote, this is an in house job.

The only 1000 series Aluminium I've ever seen in round bar is 1100 and even that has pretty limited availablity. It looks like 1100 is 99+% pure while 1235 is 99.3+% pure.

If 1100 bar won't work, maybe someone can cast aluminum in shorter round bar pieces.

Back