What's new
What's new

source for aluminum rod with 10-32 pilot hole for tapping.

dsergison

Diamond
I'm trying to find 6' or so lengths of 3/8" OD or near aluminum rod that has a 10-32 ~.159" pilot hole extruded through it.
For making threaded standoffs of random lengths.

This for robotics team. Yes we can chop, drill & tap both ends, but I'd love to just chop & tap.

I'm trying to find 6' or so lengths of 3/8" OD or near aluminum rod that has a 10-32 ~.159" pilot hole extruded through it.
For making threaded standoffs of random lengths.

This for robotics team. Yes we can chop, drill & tap both ends, but I'd love to just chop & tap.

McMaster carr has 6063 with a .145 ID... Of course its ±.025 on the ID... Close enough that you could
hand ream and tap it. Or use an 8-32. A little over a $1 a foot..

One could always try the combo drill/tap 'bits'. Still just one operation, although power required instead of optional.
Even if you got the material above, it would save the reaming op.

Chip

I would look at this a bit differently.

It's a robotics team, treat it like an apprenticeship.

This is an excellent job for a newbie learning to run a lathe, and a saw.

Just for fun can you elaborate on what the standoffs are for? At 10-32 they're a bit thick to mount electronics so must be for the chassis? I'm curious because if you need a lot of them there are probably better approaches to get good stiffness to weight.
Otherise +1 on McMaster.

Just for fun can you elaborate on what the standoffs are for? At 10-32 they're a bit thick to mount electronics so must be for the chassis? I'm curious because if you need a lot of them there are probably better approaches to get good stiffness to weight.
Otherise +1 on McMaster.
Usually ball shooters etc profiled from sheet and held apart at whatever distance so the ball rides rails like a track.

It is good lathe learning work, yes, but the head mentor would like to speed up prototyping such things. The lathe is a bottleneck.

It was worth asking. I have searched all the usual suspects and not found it.

Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

This of course depends on what you want to impart to the students, but I can imagine a set of goals that would suggest replacing the head mentor.

-Marty-

yup, I've seen this countless times with these "robotics Programs"
The chief just runs everything, doesn't allow any "Helpers"

Nothing learned.

"source for aluminum rod with 10-32 pilot hole for tapping."

A rod with a hole all the way from end to end is called a tube. Searching is easier if you use the correct word.

Larry

"source for aluminum rod with 10-32 pilot hole for tapping."

A rod with a hole all the way from end to end is called a tube. Searching is easier if you use the correct word.

Larry

I had no idea..... someone could be so...... helpful? thanks.

there are more productive things to learn and do than how to drill lots of holes in lots of bars.
often this sort of stuff needs to be done at competition with just a hand drill and if your lucky your rod has been gnawed in half by a sober beaver.
I don't think having tube to be a huge extravagence.

You've got a great opportunity for folks to learn how to use a saw and a lathe. Chop, face, drill, tap, part, done.

"what part of BOTTLENECK don't people want to hear?"

I think most folks here deal with bottle necks, PITA jobs, tight schedules, disappointments, and general chaos as a matter of routine. So while they understand "BOTTLENECK" most see it as just another part of the job.
So, do what you gotta do and see it as just part of the learning process. It will serve you well when you get into the real world and have to fight to excel or even survive..........Bob

Back