What's new
What's new

Where To Look For A Used DRO?

charlie gary

Stainless
I am looking for a DRO to go on the lathe I work with. The Z travel is 34-1/4", and the cross slide tavel is 9-1/4". I would like to have a cross slide scale that has 1um accuracy.
I found one from DRO Pros for $692.00 shipped, but the powers-that-be feel that's too much and directed me to look for something used. I have looked on this web site, as well as eBay and Craigslist, but folks don't seem to be selling their DROs. Are there any used equipment web sites I should be looking on?

FWIW, I can sell you a brand new Fagor 10 x 60 lathe package for $925. 60 is of course more than you need but doesn't hurt to have a scale that is too long if it doesn't "poke out" too much. Fagor is Spanish and an older known entity that also makes CNC controls, so more likely to last and have service possiblties than Chinese DRO's and scales.

The price includes everything you need....the bracket to hold the DRO and the scale mounting kit. Unit is brand new but the catch is it's a discontinued model and there is no warranty. But I would test it before shipping just to make sure it works properly. Still packed in original boxes.

Hi Don,
I appreciate the offer, but since I was directed to find a lower cost alternative to a new unit with warranty, what you've got to offer would not be a step in the right direction. Besides, the 60" scale would protrude into my walkway.:(

"directed" ? By who, SWMBO, or super cheapskate employer ? ;) FWIW, unlike some, the Fagor scales can be cut shorter...it's a bit tricky to do, but has been done many times sucessfully.

Milacron

A used 'high end' DRO will likely cost 2/3 the cost of a new DROpros unit, have no warranty, and may not come complete with documentation and mounting brackets, and as you've already found, a used DRO is rare as hens teeth.

Tell your boss that a used DRO won't be much less expensive than a new DROpros unit, which has a 6 year warranty, the scales can be shortened to fit your smallish lathe, and it's made in India, which is (arguably) better than a Chinese unit.

And if all that isn't enough, tell him/her the tag line from the DROpros website:
We speak English - We answer our phones - Same day shipping

QB

A used 'high end' DRO will likely cost 2/3 the cost of a new DROpros unit, have no warranty, and may not come complete with documentation and mounting brackets, and as you've already found, a used DRO is rare as hens teeth.

Tell your boss that a used DRO won't be much less expensive than a new DROpros unit, which has a 6 year warranty, the scales can be shortened to fit your smallish lathe, and it's made in India, which is (arguably) better than a Chinese unit.

And if all that isn't enough, tell him/her the tag line from the DROpros website:
We speak English - We answer our phones - Same day shipping

QB

I told him, but when my opinions don't jive with other's perceptions.........

Used DRO is a very bad investment, IMO. The cost of getting it may be less, but it'll cost just as much to get adapted to the lathe, and when it quits (soon, as it's already used), you get to do it all gain, as the next one isn't going to match up to the mounting points.

I feel you on the cheapo directive. Was told to find a HBM or VTL. Found a couple for $10-15 grand. They didn't like those. Found an immaculate Ikegai HBM with everything imaginable included for $30K (outboard, arbors, vertical head, pile of tooling). Too expensive. Found an old Universal for under $4000. They wouldn't even let me travel 2hrs to check it out. They can find one themselves. I'm done.

I am looking for a DRO to go on the lathe I work with. The Z travel is 34-1/4", and the cross slide tavel is 9-1/4". I would like to have a cross slide scale that has 1um accuracy.
I found one from DRO Pros for $692.00 shipped, but the powers-that-be feel that's too much and directed me to look for something used. I have looked on this web site, as well as eBay and Craigslist, but folks don't seem to be selling their DROs. Are there any used equipment web sites I should be looking on?

You might check out Quality Machine, they have DRO for lathe for $500 + free shipping with 2 year warranty. They have a good track record for quality & service IMHO :cheers:
Bill in SE Idaho

Ten years ago, I outfitted a milling machine with a used TRAK DRO. I found the unit for $200 in the local Want Ads. What I like about the TRAK is I did not have to worry about the length of the scales as this type relies on a metal wheel that runs directly on the mill table or lathe bed and the cross slide. Since then I re-mounted it on a South Bend lathe and another donated one on a Leblonde lathe. One has to be a bit creative with the mounting of the heads and they can give faulty readings if the wheel gets dirty but they've proven to be pretty reliable. I think some of the units I have were salvaged from machines either headed to scrap or upgraded. I allways keep an eye out for reasonably priced replacement heads just in case...

Back