What's new
What's new

Source for Narrow Width Miling Vises?

ben_smith

Aluminum
Howdy Everyone!

I'm in the process of outfitting a new machining center and am having a bit of trouble finding a set of vises to fit this particular application. The majority of products this machine will be running out start with 6" x 6" stock and have finished sizes of 5.8" square. As such, a vise less than the standard width of 6" would be the best workholding solution. Thus far I've only been able to source one vise that has a width of less than 6" but an opening of 6" (a Kurt 3400V, 4" wide x 6" opening). Any other manufacturers worth considering?

Without seeing your part, and going by what you want.. have you considered getting thicker stock to use as holding stock so that you can machine all 4 sides at once in a regular 6" vise?

Geraldi do both 4" and 5" vices and come in lengths that would work for you. Im still dreaming of having a triplet of long 4" ones on the Bridgeport. Just as stated, bloody expensive even when on offer!

Geraldi do both 4" and 5" vices and come in lengths that would work for you. Im still dreaming of having a triplet of long 4" ones on the Bridgeport. Just as stated, bloody expensive even when on offer!

I was lucky enough to own two at one time, and they are great vices but I couldn't justify the "cost" in keeping them when I could put that money elsewhere.

Howdy Everyone!

I'm in the process of outfitting a new machining center and am having a bit of trouble finding a set of vises to fit this particular application. The majority of products this machine will be running out start with 6" x 6" stock and have finished sizes of 5.8" square. As such, a vise less than the standard width of 6" would be the best workholding solution. Thus far I've only been able to source one vise that has a width of less than 6" but an opening of 6" (a Kurt 3400V, 4" wide x 6" opening). Any other manufacturers worth considering?
it would not be hard to machine a 6" wide vise down to a 5.5" wide vise. the vise jaws being hardest could be rough cut with a abrasive saw and can be finish milled with carbide end mills if you take it small cuts at a time. or finish grind. what ever you prefer
the vise body should not be fully hard and usually can be milled easier . by rights it is only by the vise jaws needing to be machined than only machine down to 5.5" what is needed rather than the whole vise down to the table mounting surface

Back