What's new
What's new

Feed and Cut Rate Issues - Manual Tom Senior Horizontal Mill

KrisW

Plastic
Hi All,

Thank you for reading my post.

My grandad left me his Tom Senior Horizontal Mill with vertical head and I’m now starting to put it to use.

I’ve been using the mill to machine two flat sides on a 2” diameter steel bar that will be used as pins on a digger.

I need to remove about 8mm depth off each side of the bar. So it has 2 radius sides and 2 flat sides.

My question is this, how do know what the optimum cutting depth is, the best cutter rotation speed and best X-Axis feed speed for a given job?

For example, should I have the cutting depth at 4mm, make 2 passes, at 80rpm on the cutter with the slowest possible feed rate

Or

Should I make 8 passes at 1mm depth of cut at 800rpm with the fastest feed rate?

I have tried both, the fast setup gave me fine chippings but produced a lot of heat and the slow pass gave me a lot of chatter.

I would appreciate a steer on this.

Hi All,

Thank you for reading my post.

My grandad left me his Tom Senior Horizontal Mill with vertical head and I’m now starting to put it to use.

I’ve been using the mill to machine two flat sides on a 2” diameter steel bar that will be used as pins on a digger.

I need to remove about 8mm depth off each side of the bar. So it has 2 radius sides and 2 flat sides.

My question is this, how do know what the optimum cutting depth is, the best cutter rotation speed and best X-Axis feed speed for a given job?

For example, should I have the cutting depth at 4mm, make 2 passes, at 80rpm on the cutter with the slowest possible feed rate

Or

Should I make 8 passes at 1mm depth of cut at 800rpm with the fastest feed rate?

I have tried both, the fast setup gave me fine chippings but produced a lot of heat and the slow pass gave me a lot of chatter.

I would appreciate a steer on this.

cutter diameter ? rough formula
4" dia wheel mill at 75 spfm
75 x 12/3.14 or round off to 75x4 = 300 rpm per 1 " dia cutter. if you got 4" dia cutter thats 300/4 or 75 rpm
i just remember 300 rpm per inch so if 3" dia cutter thats 300/3=100 rpm
you go faster with hss cutter you will just get short tool life. feed rate
lets use .001 per tooth if you got 10 teeth that .010 per revolution
.010 at 100 rpm thats 1" inch per minute feed rate. often can go 3 to 6 ipm feed with hss cutters
depth of cut depends on machine horsepower and machine rigidity and how good you can hold part from moving. usually you start with low depth of cut like 0.100" and see if it cuts without problems. if part slides or moves while cutting often you can get sudden tool failure or wheel mill breaks apart throwing chunks very far which can cause injury if they hit you
often safer to take less than 0.100" depth passes if you want to start out safer

Back