Source of rigid coolant pipe like this ? (photo of Myford grinder)
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Source of rigid coolant pipe like this ? (photo of Myford grinder)

The Myford parts source in the UK has none, I doubt Royal Master has any...other ideas ? The newer Myfords used the usual plastic Lock Line but I would greatly prefer the original rigid (but length adjustable) pipe.

fullsizerender-54.jpg

And yes of course it could be made, but the length adjustment aspect would be rather time consuming to re create.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I take it you need the fancy adjuster as well? not just some pipe. I am thinking it looks somewhat like the Aluminum gas pipe used for the last 50 years on water heaters and furnaces. Maybe modify a compression fitting and use an O-ring instead of a brass olive. Probably easier to use, and source, copper tubing.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used repair slip compression couplings for sprinkler plumbing with 3/4 PVC pipe. I know they are made for 1/2 PVC. below that I do not know.
    Bill

Homewerks Worldwide 3 in. PVC Compression Coupling-511-43-3-3 - The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not exactly sure what you're looking for here, Don, but I've got a bunch of what I always assumed were copper torch nozzles with a bend like what's shown. I'll send you a couple, if that's any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the day I made a bunch of telescopic adjustable coolant spouts for the Bullards. The factory coolant spouts were so badly damaged over th e years the simplest solution was to replace them.

It was all simple plumbing but made using hydraulic tubing. The only tricky part was the adjustable telescopic feature. I bored out a couple of flare fittings so the next smaller tube would slip inside the other. Then I made knurled collars to fit over the flare nut and packed the flare cavity with flax/graphite packing. Loosen the knurled flare nut, the packing allowed free movement of the tube. Tighten and the tube is firmly held.

Not a perfect solution but workable if the implementer isn't hyper-critical.

6. Likes digger doug, sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forest today I would use teflon packing instead. In a pinch I have used the teflon dental floss.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems to me that I've seen a very similar arrangement on Colchester engine lathes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Seems to me that I've seen a very similar arrangement on Colchester engine lathes.
    Probably so....and/or on Harrison lathes. But those are typically not large enough diameter for the Myford grinder and more complexity than I need.

Below image shows one from a Colchester or Harrison lathe I got from Clausing a few years ago (installed on a Schaublin 135).... was the last one they had.

fullsizerender-5-.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nevermind.....the Myford parts dealer in the UK found a nice used one he didn't know he had apparently and I bought it this morning. Still would be interested if anyone knows of a source of these new, for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Serious Q Milacron

In your opinion, is there enough of a market for ''old school'' rigid coolant pipe assemblies of the types you seem to be wanting, to have a batch made up?

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Serious Q Milacron

In your opinion, is there enough of a market for ''old school'' rigid coolant pipe assemblies of the types you seem to be wanting, to have a batch made up?
    I would like to think so....but suspect most people don't care about the superior resistance to chip deflection* of the old school type, and would be drawn to the much less expensive Lock-Line type.

Also in the entire history of PM I don't recall anyone but me inquiring about this sort of thing so that wouldn't bode well for their popularity either. Still, with the right advertising.... maybe....

FWIW, Matt, the PM member in the PA area that sells Taiwanese and Chinese machine tools (most of which are larger than "home shop grade") sent me an adjustable metal coolant pipe very similar to the Harrison one that was surplus from some of his machines, so someone in China is already making them (maybe the same company that makes his Harrison lathe "copies")

But it looked "cheap" compared to the real Harrison one as it was chrome plated and not as nice in the details. Probably works fine though....never installed it since I got the Harrison one about the same time.

---------------------

*Which of course is not an issue with the Myford grinder...I just think the Lok-Line version looks a bit goofy compared to the elegant original metal version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thankyou Milacron .......twas just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can understand the desire to fit the proper thing to a pristine Myford grinder but my experience with the similar device on Colchester Lathes is that they weren't that good ,I seem to remember the collet part didn't grip the delivery pipe very well, the loc-line setup seems pretty good to me.

16. Likes adama, NAST555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a industrialised metal locline type over in the cnc section a while back now, adjustable like lockline but all metal and i belive it could have joints locked, seam to remember it was costly, but would probably be a good match for a application like that and would not move in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    I can understand the desire to fit the proper thing to a pristine Myford grinder but my experience with the similar device on Colchester Lathes is that they weren't that good ,I seem to remember the collet part didn't grip the delivery pipe very well, the loc-line setup seems pretty good to me.
    My experience is the same. PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They make camera tripods with Aluminum pipe legs. These use a adjustable joint like you are looking for. But they are not designed for leak tight use. You might have to replace whatever they use for the lock ring packing with something that is liquid tight.

Bill D.

20. Likes Admin5 liked this post