What's new
What's new

Source for very small carbide tips

magneticanomaly

Titanium
I had good success tipping a 4" diam core drill I made for coring aerated-autoclaved concrete blocks, with worn-out carbide inserts. Now I need to tip a handsaw. All my used metalcutting inserts are much too big. The tips I have found sold for tipping circular saws are also too big. I would like to find pieces around .030 x .125 x .250. Need about 50 pieces, so I need tro find something on somebody's shelf. I do not have diamond cutting or grinding equipment, so the 1/32 x 1/8 x 1" long strips I have found for sale would be inconvenient for me to use. From my experience with the core drill, I will not need to grind the tips for my application.

Thanks for any help locating a source

I have done business with Cleveland Carbide. He might be able to help. He specializes in printing saws and knives but will do other types.

Home

Carbide bars are easy to cut. I do it from time to time. I am not sure, however where to get bars that are 1/32" thick except for the short pieces like you found. The 6" bars seem to all start at 1/16" thick.

Bill

Not grinding the tips will allow a wear land to grow faster on one or a few tips dragging down the RPM or power to the tool.. simple circular grinding, Of alls flat on near the same plane to even a home made wood V block. or straight edge can increase the life..thicker if you can will also increase life..

A little chip or silver solder can make the tips weld much better... No finger prints on the tips also insures better welding.

Some abrasive parting wheels can cut them .. some times just score and break can work.

If you don't need actual teeth, maybe this approach? I know you said HAND saw, which some seem to have missed. This is a sawzall blade, but the idea might work. Just carbide grit brazed to the soft steel blade. They also make these in hacksaw blades, if that has the right reach for your application.

Shop LENOX 8-in Carbide Grit Reciprocating Saw Blade at Lowes.com

Well they make also carbide tipped hand saws for aerated concrete blocks, no need to DIY anything if you don't want.. ;)

Edit: Bahco model for example: Bahco Bah2551734 255-17/34 ProfCut Concrete Saw | eBay
"Neverheard" brands about 15-20 usd

Either I don't know what these are called in US or they are not as common as in here because I wasn't able to find anything on Home Despot website?
Nearest crappy hardware store around here has 2 different brands to choose from...

MattiJ found exactly what I need, thanks! But apparently not sold in the USA, and I lose most of the remaining construction season whilst it ships from the UK. Further research shows several European makers of such saws, Have placed inquiries about US dealers.

The blocks I am cutting are soft, but abrasive. My old steel saw loses its set after 3 or 4 cuts. An amazing degree of dullness affects the cutting action little. So my simplistic plan was to braze little carbide flakes to alternating sides of teeth to maintain set.

If I can't find thin enough bits, then I suppose I'll just make actual notches in the existing teeth and braze in standard carbide saw teeth.

Anyone know a USA source for Irwin Jack 10505550, Danish Tool Production DT-260, the Bahco recommended above, or Silverline 675119?

If you don't need actual teeth, maybe this approach? I know you said HAND saw, which some seem to have missed. This is a sawzall blade, but the idea might work. Just carbide grit brazed to the soft steel blade. They also make these in hacksaw blades, if that has the right reach for your application.

Shop LENOX 8-in Carbide Grit Reciprocating Saw Blade at Lowes.com
If this approach works, I have seen a hardfacing rod with the aforementioned
crushed carbide incased in a tube for brazing on.
Your local welding supply store could get it for you.

It was marketed for horse shoes, and other items.

Thanks, Digger. I think they call the horseshoe grit "Borium" I think a grit edge would clog with the dust. I know my core drill works scarcely at all without water though a coolant inducer to flush the mud out. But I'll probably try it if I can't find a US source for a ready-made saw. I've e-mailed several places.

I do not understand what the op is after here.
Negative blanks will not work without a grinding op after braze.
A rather out there request.
Bob

He is after small brazeable inserts for concrete/aircrete saw like this:
https://images.ffx.co.uk/tools/BAH2551734.JPG?w=1280&h=960&scale=both

to the OP: where the hell did you manage to buy aircrete blocks in the US anyways? :D
Aircrete and muscle powered tools are apparently not in fashion around there.

If you can't wait for a ~1 week to get the aircrete saw from UK/Europe you can use dremel-style mooltitool with one of those diamond disks to cut and sharpen your carbide blanks.
50 pcs kind of suck and you might need more than one diamond cutting disk but I'd expect to get it done in half an hour.

Back