What's new
What's new

Southwest Airlines engine failure?

Has anyone heard the details yet?
It sounds like this is a problem at the root of blade ‘christmas Tree’?

I think you meant to say Southwest Airlines...

From an article published this am:

"In a press conference Tuesday evening, NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt announced that one of the engine's 24 fan blades had snapped off near the central hub. To be specific, it's the 13th of 24 blades.

According to Sumwalt, a preliminary examination of where the blade failed found evidence of metal fatigue. The entire investigation is expected to take 12-15 months.

However, Sumwalt told the media Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly indicated the airline will immediately begin enhanced inspections of the engines across its entire fleet more than 710 Boeing 737s using ultrasonics."

This was the second similar failure in a fairly short time period (a couple of years, which isn't as long as it sounds in aerospace.) Even worse than the blade fatigue and failure is the fact that in both instances, the engine cases failed to contain the blade. This time the failure killed somebody, and almost killed everyone on the place.

Everything with one of those engines should be grounded - this is a failure in design that's killing people, and putting a lot more at risk.

From the previous failure: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20160912.aspx

This was the second similar failure in a fairly short time period (a couple of years, which isn't as long as it sounds in aerospace.) Even worse than the blade fatigue and failure is the fact that in both instances, the engine cases failed to contain the blade. This time the failure killed somebody, and almost killed everyone on the place.

Everything with one of those engines should be grounded - this is a failure in design that's killing people, and putting a lot more at risk.

From the previous failure: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20160912.aspx

Any word as to the manufacturer of the engines ?

Regards Tyrone.

Even worse than the blade fatigue and failure is the fact that in both instances, the engine cases failed to contain the blade. This time the failure killed somebody, and almost killed everyone on the place.

[/url]

Yep- I keep looking at the torn through Kevlar belting on that engine- the break is too clean- it looks like the composite is failing in a manner where the strands are not acting as designed.

Locally is a company that makes Hi pressure inert gas "blade reforming"
chambers.

Yes, used blades with cracks are put under hi pressure gas, in an inductive
heated oven, and "closed up".

Locally is a company that makes Hi pressure inert gas "blade reforming"
chambers.

Yes, used blades with cracks are put under hi pressure gas, in an inductive
heated oven, and "closed up".

That really does not sound like a smart approach for something were the OEM goes to great lengths to have the blades solidify from a seed crystal.

To my knowledge Rolls Royce is the only one with a you tube video in the public domain showing a intentionally induced fan blade fail caught - containined by the engine casing in a test stand on a engine of this class.

A38 Blade Off Test - YouTube

May be best not to sit inline or slightly behind the engines if there not rolls royce on your next few flights!

That really does not sound like a smart approach for something were the OEM goes to great lengths to have the blades solidify from a seed crystal.

To my knowledge Rolls Royce is the only one with a you tube video in the public domain showing a intentionally induced fan blade fail caught - containined by the engine casing in a test stand on a engine of this class.

A38 Blade Off Test - YouTube

May be best not to sit inline or slightly behind the engines if there not rolls royce on your next few flights!

As it was second hand info, I'm not sure of the blades uses.

Our Public T.v did a series on the new airliner (the 777 IIRC) and one whole
episode was devoted to the engine (a new design as well) and they showed
hi-speed video of just such a test, the marked blade had an explosive charge,
the blade exiting, and then cameras place all around the outside, showing
the bulging of the kevlar ring (with no parts cutting thru)

Strangely enough, along with the Southwest Airline engine failure, also in the news here today was mention of Rolls-Royce's ongoing problems with the Trent 1000.

This is not today's article, but it shows what is happening:

Photos: Air NZ’s damaged 787 engine | Stuff.co.nz

Thanks- corrected.
(first cuppa dilemma..)
At least you did not call it an explosion!

Question #1 How much does that single blade weigh after separation from the fan?

#2 Passengers described a 2 part sequence, would a micro crack going to a major crack before failing make a noise and vibration that was felt by the passengers?

#3 If not could the first noise been something hitting the fan?

I flew with a sales rep in the 90s that had been and aircraft mechanic during his first life. He did not want to be in a seat in line with a prop or an engine.

Seems like the easiest containment of fragments would be in the middle of the shield and most difficult would be at the ends.

Any word as to the manufacturer of the engines ?

Regards Tyrone.

theres a very good chance that the engine manufacturer and the blade manufacturer are not the same. often, the oem engine is sold with blades by the oem, but these blades must be replaced at regular intervals, and the replacement blade maker is a second party, which sells back to the oem. I worked for such a second party, our blades were said to be better than the oem's.

It's too bad the lady got killed....she was kind of a honey with a family to boot.

That said, I guess we can look at this one of two ways:

1) Life still isn't perfectly safe. If you factor that in to the equation as well as the millions of miles flown, statistically it must happen once in a while.

2) It's just another example of what the world has become - everyone maximizing profits and accepting shitty service/products from all the other companies who are maximizing profits. It's a race to the bottom.

Back