What's new
What's new

Specific live center recommendation

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

I have a Nakane live center like this one (in the 2MT size): http://www.nakane34.co.jp/center/ls_e.htm

Its largest taper diameter is 24mm. I'm looking for another "stealthy" center (i.e. body diameter as small as possible compared with taper diameter) but with a larger diameter. 26mm to 30mm to would be perfect but a little larger would be ok.

The Nakane in 3MT size would be great but my lathe has a 2MT tail. Even if reducing sleeves exist, it would lengthen it by a lot.

I can't find a center like that but maybe I'm missing some.
I rather not go into Royal prices but Nakane or Riten is ok. There are local dealers for Bison and Roehm so that's more convenient but I don't mind ordering from abroad.

The Riten Multi is the closest I've found but it's 57mm so maybe I'll get it if I really can't find anything closer.

Thank you!

Hi

I have a Nakane live center like this one (in the 2MT size): http://www.nakane34.co.jp/center/ls_e.htm

Its largest taper diameter is 24mm. I'm looking for another "stealthy" center (i.e. body diameter as small as possible compared with taper diameter) but with a larger diameter. 26mm to 30mm to would be perfect but a little larger would be ok.

The Nakane in 3MT size would be great but my lathe has a 2MT tail. Even if reducing sleeves exist, it would lengthen it by a lot.

I can't find a center like that but maybe I'm missing some.
I rather not go into Royal prices but Nakane or Riten is ok. There are local dealers for Bison and Roehm so that's more convenient but I don't mind ordering from abroad.

The Riten Multi is the closest I've found but it's 57mm so maybe I'll get it if I really can't find anything closer.

Thank you!

Riten makes some good stuff. Not cheap, but I'd rate them BETTER value-for-money than Royal. Try one and see.

Centers are not "forever" goods, BTW.

Live or solid, they are consumables. Some just last longer than others - same loads and service.

My approach is to use cheap Asian made ones when I can do, keep my "great name" ones back for critical work. You may not be blessed with that option, but if the revenoo justifies it, pay what you must, and go with rebuildable / re-grindables.

Several firms out there that regrind solid / "Dead" centers right cheaply and well. Working those in "batches" - especially with carbide tips and Cimcool "Center Saver" as lube - might still be not so bad vs "live" centres?

I like my Nakane centers. But when a crash showed the need to send a MT6 Royal CNC center to be repaired Royal replaced it with a new one, no charge, not even for freight. That makes Royal centers nearly the same as a forever tool IMO.
Years earlier I sent the same size center to be reground and I can't remember if they charged me or not, but at any rate those are very expensive centers and money well spent.

How that fits when buying a MT2 I'm not sure, but Royal is righteous tooling.

Thanks. To clarify a few things...

I don't mind paying more for better quality. With my use any decent quality center would last a very long time. I've had very variable quality with "no-name" Chinese ones and returning anything is a lot of hassle, sometimes not even possible or practical. That's why I rather avoid them.

The problem is that I can't find a center with the size I need. I rather not go to Royal prices but I don't think Royal has a center like that anyway. Any company would be fine as long as it's decent and matches the specs I need, but I can't find anything!

Thanks. To clarify a few things...

I don't mind paying more for better quality. With my use any decent quality center would last a very long time. I've had very variable quality with "no-name" Chinese ones and returning anything is a lot of hassle, sometimes not even possible or practical. That's why I rather avoid them.

The problem is that I can't find a center with the size I need. I rather not go to Royal prices but I don't think Royal has a center like that anyway. Any company would be fine as long as it's decent and matches the specs I need, but I can't find anything!

Meahh.. Yazz. We tend to forget you are in Israel, not Ohio or such. Not that it is a technoid "backwater". Quite the reverse, generally. Just less likely to have quick and easy access to the "weird stuff".

Have you considered ALTERING a decent LC? Or even some of the not-so "decent" ones that come as "kits" with a collection of pop-in shapes for centres already?

Yes it's a weird mix here with some of the best quality industrial tools and companies along with almost inaccessible sources for small businesses like mine.

We have dealers for Bison, Rohm, Royal, but I can't find what I need from any of them (maybe I missed some models). I ordered my Nakane from abroad and it was worth it. I have no problem ordering from abroad now too, if it's a decent quality center and matches my specs.

I guess modifying a bull nose type could work in theory, but how to modify it? Not sure how to grip it with the bearings, not that I'd be able to do it anyway. They are hardened and there's tons of material to remove so is it even practical?

For a couple of weeks I've been trying to find a place to surface grind a small part for me... much simpler... so far unsuccessfully (can't even find a place, before even asking if they can do this).

Maybe my best chance is to contact live center makers and see if they can make a custom one (e.g. 2MT instead of 3MT).

but how to modify it? Not sure how to grip it with the bearings,

That's the thing. You don'y interact with the bearings. You make a new drop-in tip.

Example of the sort of "kits" that supports this run from under $100 USD for low/no-recognitions name (low risk, expendable) to over $1500, Riten, Skoda, et al:

Here are just two of many out there:

http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/skheducenewl3.html

MT2 Live Center Set

And a 2 MT ain't "custom". It is perhaps the most common, ever, lathe TS taper size, even when it should NOT be!

"Too small", for easily half the lathes it ships on that shudda had MT 3 instead!

Last edited:
Can you bore out your quill to 3MT, or make a new one?
That's unrealistic for many reasons which I can bore you with if interested :)

The Skoda seems to only be available for 3MT.

I just found what might be almost perfect... this one from Rohm ROHM - Revolving centering taper
It costs double of the Riten :)

I'll think about it and probably get one of these two.
Unless someone knows a cheaper one that is the same as that Rohm?
I don't really need the top accuracy and quality of the better one, but two out of three Chinese live centers I have are unacceptable. Returning isn't practical. Tried to sell for half what I paid for them... no one wanted them. Don't want to have yet another one sitting here...

Thanks again!

Back