What's new
What's new

speed and feed softwear

Hdyoung08

Plastic
after reading some I think im going to pull the trigger on some software. I would like to have a little feedback as the two I have looked at so far. the first one being ME pro the second one being G-WIZARD. I will be using this mostly on a manual lathe and mill for now as a general ideal of speeds and feeds time per piece depth ect later on I will be getting a cnc but as of now its all manual. I have watched some videos of the g-wizard and from what I can tell it seems to be what I would like to have. I would like to here from some of you that has run these or maybe a different one befor I pull the trigger on this thanks again

after reading some I think im going to pull the trigger on some software. I would like to have a little feedback as the two I have looked at so far. the first one being ME pro the second one being G-WIZARD. I will be using this mostly on a manual lathe and mill for now as a general ideal of speeds and feeds time per piece depth ect later on I will be getting a cnc but as of now its all manual. I have watched some videos of the g-wizard and from what I can tell it seems to be what I would like to have. I would like to here from some of you that has run these or maybe a different one befor I pull the trigger on this thanks again

Calculator, and a machinery's handbook. Until you put the time and effort into learning what the numbers actually mean, and how they relate to each other, you're wasting time on speed and feed calculators. IMO of course, your results may vary...

(CS X 4)/D
What else do you need to know. That will get you real close every time. It doesn't care if you're running a lathe or a mill.
CS is the cutting speed in SFM and you can get right out of Machinery's handbook. If you don't have a copy, buy one now.
D is the diameter of the stock in the lathe or cutter in the mill.

Feed rate is something you should learn by feel. What your lathe can take and how a milling cutter feels in cut.
I been doing this for a lot of years and think that there are many other things I could use in the shop way before a speed and feed calculator.
JR

excel if on nearby computer can do for free. basically take time (maybe 2 minutes) to learn in excel how to enter math formulas which can be saved. basically it can be like a programmable calculator
they also sell hand held machinist calculators if you prefer

I use G Wizard and like it. It's got all kinds of extra stuff besides feeds and speeds. I think it's a good deal.

only problem with phone app is many bosses dont like see people playing with phone in the shop. if you got a machinist calculator which many places give out for free from the tool crib nobody going to say your wasting time playing with your phone

Both are good, and rather inexpensive.
I've had ME Consultant for as long as I can remember (not the pro version) and no issues with it.

Back