What's new
What's new

Spherical bearing mount

egratton

Plastic
I have the task of restoring the spherical bearing fit in some custom blocks that are integral to a larger assembly.I am in need of tooling to machine the radius back to original fit in a manual lathe.The bearing has a 52mm O.D. that is ofcourse spherical. Is there a insert or brazed tool source for getting this done. The bearing is UC205-16
Any help is appreciated.
Eric G.UC205-16 bearing.jpg

Umm, no. Find some one with a CNC lathe. Way too much contact for this not to chatter . No idea what kind of tolerance you want to hold, but if roughing it out and file / polish it smooth is good enough,then i suppose its possible, but its an easy job for someone with the right equipment.

If the custom blocks are large enough, perhaps you could bore and sleeve the hole. In this case, buy the proper size pillow block housing in a 2 or 4 hole format (face flange mount) and machine the OD away to make the sleeve insert. Possibly you could retain this sleeve with a light interference fit, Loctite permanent grade and a snap ring that you would machine into the original custom block.

Welding up a cast iron housing, if that is what they are, could be problematic anyways, hard spots, warpage etc. It's not something I would want to do that way, I'd make new first.

Where is that thread of the very unique radius turner that worked
as a parallelogram ?

Seems like it would be ideal for this application.

I agree with the idea of machining the housing out to fit a readily available pillow block housing. Those spherical fits are very important to the life and performance of those bearings. I have seen many times where a customer tried to cut corners and stick a new bearing those pillow blocks, only to ultimately have to replace the whole thing a short while later along with the shaft

I said sockets but should have said cartridge mount spherical bearings.If you have enough material just straight bore your old mounts leaving a shoulder in the bottom of the bore and deep enough to allow a snap ring groove on the outer end to hold the cartridge in.

Back