What's new
What's new

Square hole bushings

rmw

Cast Iron
In case anyone is interested, I just called Jergens to order some square tool holding bushings for some projects, and the lady there told me that even though they have quite a few in inventory, after they are depleted, they will no longer be made by them or available.

Square Hole Bushings

rmw,
I'm not familiar with those types of bushings. Are they square OD, and go into a square hole? OR are they round with a square ID? I'm really curious what the common use is for. We make square broaches here at Slater, and I wonder if they could be used to make bushings?
Peter

Peter, they are most commonly used to make boring bars. The sleeves are round O.D with a square hole through on center of the O.D. You take the round piece you want to use as a boring bar, drill and ream it where you want the tool to go, then slip in the Sturdy or other brand square holed sleeve and weld, solder, loctite, epoxy, etc. it in position. Your broaches would not likely work for this because they are pretty long. Most I've seen are 3" length or longer. Looks like Sturdy beat their competitor out, eh?

link to Sturdys site

does anyone have link to Sturdys site thanks

AFAIK, Jergens and Sturdy Broach Company were the two makers of square hole sleeves in the USA. I know Reid sells them, but do they make them?

Jergens sleeves are 12L14, unweldable.

Sturdy's are weldable (at least that's what they claim and I have welded them), not sure of the material though.

I'm looking for a plastic (Delrin or Acetyl) 5/16" square hole flanged bushing 1/2" OD. Anything you know of out there?

Back