What's new
What's new

Machining schools/training

GeneSimm7@gmail

Plastic
I have been running metal lathes and milling machines for personal use for more than 40 years but I don't know if I am using the best practices. I would like to find a school where I can learn proper speeds, feeds, tool shape/rake angles, etc, etc. I am located in Southeastern Pennsylvania and would like to find something not too far away where I can learn. Anyone have any suggestions? A friend of mine recommended a machining book that he said contained everything I would ever need to know, but it turned out to be available only in Spanish and I cannot read Spanish.

South Eastern Pa covers a lot of ground... be more specific.

When I know where you are, I might be able to give you a name or 3 of Machine Shop Owners that may tell you where they get decent young fellows to work in their shops. Or you could ask at the local High Schools where their grads go for this training, they all dont go to college or do they? Or you could go to the library and look up schools, or the local chamber of commerce knows about all the shops. Then there's always the phone book, look in the yellow pages, every shop has a phone, and if they have a phone, their listed. If it were me, and I used to own a shop in the Huntindon Val area, I'd call and ask those people that are hiring youngsters....But then, if it were my son asking, I steer him as far away from this dying and almost dead trade as possible.

South Eastern Pa covers a lot of ground... be more specific.

When I know where you are, I might be able to give you a name or 3 of Machine Shop Owners that may tell you where they get decent young fellows to work in their shops. Or you could ask at the local High Schools where their grads go for this training, they all dont go to college or do they? Or you could go to the library and look up schools, or the local chamber of commerce knows about all the shops. Then there's always the phone book, look in the yellow pages, every shop has a phone, and if they have a phone, their listed. If it were me, and I used to own a shop in the Huntindon Val area, I'd call and ask those people that are hiring youngsters....But then, if it were my son asking, I steer him as far away from this dying and almost dead trade as possible.
My location is Lansdale, Pa. I enjoy machining as a hobby and not planning it for a career. I welcome your advice.

Welcome from a fellow Montgomery County (former) resident! I live near Atlanta, GA but I was born in Montgomeryville.

A cut/paste from http://www.ed-reference.us gave me this info near the bottom of the page...

Pennsylvania Machine Tool Technology, Machinist Colleges

* Altoona Area Vocational Technical School - Altoona - Altoona, PA
Technical Programs at Altoona Area Vocational Technical School - Altoona include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Schuylkill Technology Centers - Frackville - Frackville, PA
Technical Programs at Schuylkill Technology Centers - Frackville include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, Mining Technology, Technician, more...
* Delaware County Community College - Media - Media, PA
Technical Programs at Delaware County Community College - Media include: Machine Shop Technology, Assistant, Robotics Technology, Technician, Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Dunwoody College of Technology - Oil City - Oil City, PA
Technical Programs at Dunwoody College of Technology - Oil City include: Instrumentation Technology, Technician, Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, Manufacturing Technology, Technician, more...
*New Castle School of Trades - Pulaski - Pulaski, PA
Technical Programs at New Castle School of Trades - Pulaski include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* St Josephs Medical Center School of Radiology Technology - Reading - Reading, PA
Technical Programs at St Josephs Medical Center School of Radiology Technology - Reading include: Machine Shop Technology, Assistant, Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Reading Area Community College - Reading - Reading, PA
Technical Programs at Reading Area Community College - Reading include: Machine Shop Technology, Assistant, Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* North Central Industrial Technical Education - Ridgway - Ridgway, PA
Technical Programs at North Central Industrial Technical Education - Ridgway include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Johnson College - Scranton - Scranton, PA
Technical Programs at Johnson College - Scranton include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Lancaster County Career And Technology Center - Willow Street - Willow Street, PA
Technical Programs at Lancaster County Career And Technology Center - Willow Street include: Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...
* Westmoreland County Community College - Youngwood - Youngwood, PA
Technical Programs at Westmoreland County Community College - Youngwood include: Machine Shop Technology, Assistant, Industrial Production Technologies, Technicians, Data Processing and Data Processing Technology, Technician, Machine Tool Technology, Machinist, more...

I am about to complete 2 diplomas and 2 certificates in the Machine Tool Program at Gwinnett Technical College down here in Georgia. After 10 years of piddlin' with my 3-in-1 I decided to make a career change and turn my hobby into a profession. For a wonderful application of amateur and professional machine work, visit the Pennsylvania Live Steamers

Good Luck!
Jasonixo
Norcross, GA

Back