What's new
What's new

Shizuoka Millmaster B-3V Spindle Motor Removal

pbrubaker

Aluminum
Hey all,

I have an older B-3V I'm retrofitting that I want to change the spindle motor out on. Mine has a 3.7kW Sanyo-Denki DC (separately excited field, 210VDC) spindle motor and drive. I had little luck trying to find a DC drive to power it off single phase so I decided to replace it with a used AC motor and VFD.

My problem is in removing the motor. I unbolted it from the flange and started lifting it out when it began resisting. I stopped there last night because I don't want to break anything. Unfortunately I don't have any documentation with this machine. Has anyone removed a motor from this machine before that can help me out? There appears to be a collar joining the motor shaft to the main gear shaft, but there are no obvious set screws to loosen it. So I could use some ideas from people who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

TIA,

Pete

I saw a motor I think on Ebay and it looks like it has a straight keyway. Have you looked at the housing the motor clamps too and see if there is a cover on the side that can be removed, if so look for a set screw that would hold a coupling on the motor shaft. It might be a 1" pipe plug, if you don't find anything then I would guess the motor needs to be lifted straight up. You may want to cut 4 - 1/4" x 1" x 3" shims with a milled or ground sloped edge like a wood chisel and wedge it under the 4 corners and carefully tap them in to keep it sliding up evenly. Sometimes after i get it up 1/4" and it is still tight I cut some threaded rod and in the 1/4" raised opening I slide in a thin nut and flat washer and screw the rod into the motor hole and into the nut and then into the mount housing on all 4 corners and make jack screws by raising the nuts. If there is a cover over the center of the motor shaft, pry it up and see if there is a tapped hole in the end of the motor shaft for an eyebolt. You may want to ask this question in the CNC forum too, or ask Charles to move it. Good luck Rich

You might ask the ebay seller and ask him too:
Shizuoka Shizouka Mill Master B 3V B3V CNC Mill Spindle Motor | eBay

Thanks Rich. These turned out to be great things to look for. I moved the cribbing I had setup to support the head and found a 8" circular panel directly underneath the input shaft of the gearbox. It's too late to pull it off tonight but tomorrow it will give me a good place to look in with a mirror and see what's going on. Also, thanks for the tricks on lifting the motor. I really appreciate the good general purpose tips. I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I saw that guy's eBay posts and didn't think about asking them how to remove it. That's a great idea.

Also, I did cross post this over at CNC Zone but I have yet to check over there.

Cheers,

Pete

I also have a Shizouka mill, mine is Bandit controlled STN, a real dinosaur. Mine came with a vari-drive which got noisy enough that I swapped it out with a cog belt and VFD.

If I had it to do over I think I'd send it to someone who overhauls the Vari-drives. The cog belt is noisy too. Really high quality iron, but the variable speed systems never seem to be as bulletproof as the rest of the machines.

I burned the motor up on mine because copper chips got into the cooling ports. I took it off and had it rebuilt and then built a bronze screen that is a close fit around the top. I pulled the motor out of the head using the overhead crane, not sure this helps much, and I'm not familiar with your model.

if you don't find anything then I would guess the motor needs to be lifted straight up. You may want to cut 4 - 1/4" x 1" x 3" shims with a milled or ground sloped edge like a wood chisel and wedge it under the 4 corners and carefully tap them in to keep it sliding up evenly. Sometimes after i get it up 1/4" and it is still tight I cut some threaded rod and in the 1/4" raised opening I slide in a thin nut and flat washer and screw the rod into the motor hole and into the nut and then into the mount housing on all 4 corners and make jack screws by raising the nuts.

Hey Rich,

I didn't get any response from my inquiries. I tried calling some service techs, posts on various forums, e-mailed and called that eBay seller but all resulted in a dead end.

The plate below the input shaft was a bust, with the tools I have I couldn't remove it. It looks like the whole plate is threaded and would require a large spanner tool to remove. So I decided to inspect what I could with a small mirror and a flashlight last night. I didn't see any set screws retaining the key, so I tried the jack screw method. It is moving out, but it's taking the whole input shaft and the top bearing with it (the bearing has moved away from the seal below it.) I'm not sure if I should proceed at this point or not. With the lack of information I'm hesitant, but I may have no choice but to continue. Given that you're the only person that's responded I'm coming back to you. How would you proceed at this point? Would some pictures help?

"Given that you're the only person that's responded I'm coming back to you."

I responded Pbrubaker. On mine I used the overhead crane and mechanics wire through the openings through the top of the motor bell. It sounds like you must have a different motor though because mine came out easy. The entire pulley setup below came out too.

Yeah, I'm sorry, you did respond. But we have vastly different machines. My machine doesn't have a pulley system, the motor is coupled to the input shaft of the gearbox.

Again my apologies, I should have worded that differently.

Hello,

I have this same Shizuoka Millmaster B3-V machine and recently the spindle drive went out. I wonder if anyone has an owner's manual or a wiring diagram they can provide to me. Thank you

Back