What's new
What's new

Standard modern 1334

turbo_rob

Plastic
Hello, been reading the forum for years. Great information, thanks for sharing.
I am looking for information on the collet and draw bar for this lathe. Would anyone have pictures and dimensions? Also been trying to find tapper on the adapted for the center. I am a hobby guy not a machinists but do find it relaxing making parts for my old motorcycle.

Hello, been reading the forum for years. Great information, thanks for sharing.
I am looking for information on the collet and draw bar for this lathe. Would anyone have pictures and dimensions? Also been trying to find tapper on the adapted for the center. I am a hobby guy not a machinists but do find it relaxing making parts for my old motorcycle.
Look on ebay for lathe spindle 5c collet spindle adapter. Edwin Dirnbeck

If it has the D-4, MT5 spindle like my Super 11 you can get nice MT5 to 5C adapters from Royal or JFK. There are also "quality import" types available but there's lots of horror stories about their accuracy.

Then get a 5C drawbar and collets and you're good to go, something like this:

5C-Collet-Closer-for-G4003.jpg

If you want something faster with a lever, again Royal and JFK come to mind.

jfk-5c-lever-actuated-chuck-15.gif

edit: found my old thread asking about adapters: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/quality-mt5-5c-adapter-314118/

JFK makes good quality stuff. They can make most any kind you need.

Spindle taper is not a #3 Morse, regardless of what the manual says. It's a #5 Morse, but the lathes came with an adapter to reduce to #3.

The manual says spindle bore is 1-3/8", which I believe is correct. Pretty hard to have a #3 taper machined into a 1-3/8" bore.

So, he needs a #5 Morse to 5C adapter.

Here: https://www.standardmodernlathes.com/docs/manuals/standard-modern-1340-mil-manual.pdf

Your spindle taper is #3MT.
You should have a D1-4 spindle nose.
Look at Royal, JFK or Rovi to see what's available. Then you have to decide which you want to do, spend a lot of money or wait until something cheap comes along.
JR

Back