What's new
What's new

An open letter to ebay peddlers, SIZE MATTERS!

You know what you want and have a size range that you can adjust to, 'cause you're a mad inventor and machinist.

You search in the appropriate category, find a pic that looks close but the camera flash on the semi transparent plastic envelope and the large label.... mighta' helped if the photographer hadn't sneezed just as he hit the button but....

There's no extrania to confuse you, OR GIVE A SENSE OF SCALE so of course you go to the description.
"NEW unopened 5 pak of N-7358-14Q, no manufacturer. $4.95. Shipping and handling via USPO flat rate box, $250. File photo, not actual item"

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Are you just bored, this is a hobby and you don't want any sales? Are you just plain stupid?!!

And further, do you recognize the difference between plastic, metal or dirt and could you share that detail???

And please, if you don't know the back from the front, top from the bottom, could you snap a few extra views??

OK, I really don't expect mechanical competency from most peddlers but is it too much to expect a 50 cent plastic ruler dropped close to the item, a measuring tape across, something, anything? I'd settle for a blue berry muffin fer Pete's sake....

Sorry for the rant. Of the 5 items I needed to order this morning and out of thousands of offerings, no doubt many of them perfectly acceptable for my needs, the few offered by serious sellers - with a brain, weren't quite the right size or.....

One plus in all this, you dorks that start your ad with "LOOK@@##&&%" or "*****RARE TREASURE******", do me a service, makes it easy to skip what most surely will be pure garbage.

frustrated Bob

I see a title, it mentions " SIZE MATTERS!" and Ebay....

And I wonder if it is yet another "enhancement" product...
And since Bob does not mention what it is he needs, or why it needs to be a certain size..

Hmmmm.. :hole:

Agree with the "makes it cheaper for me" sentiment. Also, when big bunches of stuff are put on with a single photo, where I can recognize a specific part. In a lot of Atlas parts, I saw the auxiliary support for an Atlas mill. Just a piece of Cast iron. The lot cost me ten bucks, and with clear pictures and labels I sold it for a couple hundred. Plus I got what I really wanted out of that lot.

Same thing with a Starrett vernier tooth gage. Mislabeled. Bought it for ten, sold it for like $300 (I had to purchase a locking thumbscrew, and got instructions from Starrett with the tables and all, but still...)

But when you do want to know a dimension, one can write the seller. So this actually is again, better because uncertainty lowers the price for others, and you can be certain that a part is what you want.

If I'm just browsing, though, not having the size or a comparator is a pain. I take my pics on a poster-sized paper pad with a 1 inch square grid.

Jim

3T3D, in recognition of your "digging a hole" smiley, and sensing that your response was in the same vein as my kidding-on-the-square post, I offer the following, tongue in cheek sarcasm, with a touch of meaning.... gives me a chance to beat them up some more.... gave up on a specific large O-ring this morning, spec'd Permatex!

OK 3T3D, let me explain how ebay works. THEY offer the items and I choose what I need, if they are smart enough to let me know what it is that they are offering.

"A bolt" is simply not enough, SIZE MATTERS, get it? The PM title bar has limited space, that's why the text body below is offered for clarification, reading it might have helped.:)

Going through the boxes of grandpas treasures, wiping the dirt off to find a manufacturering code and posting that as the only information is just inadequate and no 3T3D, that is not about enhancement, "inadequate" has other uses, as does, "size matters".

I don't know exactly how to respond to "And since Bob does not mention what it is he needs, or why it needs to be a certain size.." uh...see 3T, my post was not a product search, it was an open letter to ebay peddlers about searching for products....2 different things....uh, never mind. :(....OK, yes, I groked the kinky dig....

Gitt'n worried here 3T, you wouldn't be an ebay peddler that is befuddled by mechanical descriptions and are very sensitive about it, would you.:D

No, I'm not about to beg each one of them for useful information, and wait for what should have been in the original offering, if they weren't just lazy or simply unable to verbalize an adequate description. Beside, most of them don't want to respond to queries, ebay stuck that option in the format, not the squirelly peddlers. At least a few of them do offer "I'M not a machinist, carpenter, doctor....", choose one. Explains a lot but doesn't make up for lazy.

OK 3T, enough fun, hope this "zinged" right over the hole you dug...:D

Crashtest and Jim Jim, a lot of truth in good deals from clueless sellers, have scored there too...nice.

Bob.
PS there are a few great sellers that are really good at what they do, makes a vivid contrast, hope they're getting rich...... now Mike Kandu-do....

If your competent.... you'd KNOW what a box of NEW unopened 5 pak of N-7358-14Q, are

Pay your money and treat the box like a suprize party gift... :D

One thing I hate is when the idiots post a picture of letter stamps,only showing the HAMMERED END of them!! Then,they act surprised if you ask what the other end looks like,and can't figure out why anyone would want to know.

Another thing I hate is all the "salesman's samples that aren't. Guy showed a picture of a Swiss style watchmaker's hammer "salesman's sample". I told him what it was. He said he "never heard" of a SWISS WATCHMAKER. Asked him if he ever heard of Rolex!! Dumb ba$tard.

OK, I really don't expect mechanical competency from most peddlers but is it too much to expect a 50 cent plastic ruler dropped close to the item, a measuring tape across, something, anything? I'd settle for a blue berry muffin fer Pete's sake....

ROFL, that's a good one.

I've been poking around for a regulated DC power supply. My favorites are the ones with 7 paragraphs of stock terms and conditions with TWO lines of text about the item. I have to enlarge the photo to get the make and model number, then search the Net for info on that power supply!! :angry:

Plus in the two lines will usually say "Looks to be in great condition" Huh!? I don't want "Looks", I want "Has been fully tested with a multimeter and is completely functional" :wall:

These folks must not make much money.

Steve

Back