What's new
What's new

Starrett 98-12 machine level unbolting

Bill D

Diamond
I have a complete new main vial assembly. I need to unbolt the old one and drop in the new one. Is it just a matter of remove the nut on one end and the screw on the other? When I tried the screw it unscrewed for a short distance then it seems to just spins. Are there any tricky parts that will fly out as it is unbolted.
A search for repair instructions all assume the level cartridge is already removed from the base with no instructions for unbolting so I hope it is as easy as it looks.
Bill D.

the adjustment is pretty straight forward. one end has a nut above and below vial end and the other end has a single screw with special washers that go through a clearance hole.
one end of vial adjusts up and down AND the other end vial is adjusted side to side
with level on a round shaft as the level is moved so the cross level vial is not centered anymore the main level vial should not show big bubble movement. if main vial is not parallel to the vee or involute base you will see a large bubble change when the little cross level vial goes from centered to off centered
often inexperienced calibration people will only check a level on a flat surface but that is only half the calibration job when the level has a vee or involute base

It was that easy to take off. Only problem now is the replacement is a too short. I guess they pushed it together until it hit the ends of the tube. I will have to rig up a puller system and pull it apart about 1/16 of an inch so the screw goes in straight.
I think the replacement vial is older is actually older, the holes are smaller and neater then the original. I know my father bought the replacement vial holder around 1970 or so.
Bill D.

It was that easy to take off. Only problem now is the replacement is a too short. I guess they pushed it together until it hit the ends of the tube. I will have to rig up a puller system and pull it apart about 1/16 of an inch so the screw goes in straight.
I think the replacement vial is older is actually older, the holes are smaller and neater then the original. I know my father bought the replacement vial holder around 1970 or so.
Bill D.
what i did was drill and tap into the side of a bench vise for 10-32 screws one for each vial end, that way i could adjust the distance til level vial could bolt on. the plugs in the ends are not super tight. if you continue pulling one plug will come out / off. also if using a wrench on each end you can turn them so they are in alignmernt
........after outer sleeve is slid off their usually is something between outer sleeve and inner sleeve too keep some tension on it and prevent rattle like 2 small leaf springs. do not loose these
.... the inner tube with the other end plug if you wanted to also remove i usually put in a lathe collet. if you have a piece of steel with a 10-32 screw in it, in the tool post you can use the lathe carriage to pull off the other plug.
.... the level vial itself is usually held with plaster. if soaked in water i have scraped the softened plaster, that hours later the glass vial can be removed by gentle pushing

Back