What's new
What's new

Starrett Last Word Indicators - Who Uses?

ShopRatCNC

Plastic
Hi, Just looking thru the new MSC flyer, was surpised to see Last Word Indicators. .0005 complete set $184.00. My question is does anybody buy and/or use Last Words any more?

Thanks, Shoppie

I have one for sale for $100. and $10 for shipping. It's only .001 tho.

IMGP3226.jpg

IMGP3227.jpg

IMGP3225.jpg

JB
:cheers:

I have three sets of Last Word indicators. The 0.0005" LW indicator is exactly the same as the 0.001" LW indicator except the 0.0005" has an extra graduation between each 0.001" graduation. You can eyeball that much ;)

I have been using them for about 10 years. I bought another used set about 5 years ago and sent them in to Starrett for servicing. Works fine.

I like em for easily getting in to awkward places. The tip has to be placed carefully and the orientation of the surface to be indicated, the tip, the body of the indicator and the plane that the variation you are trying to measure all have to be aligned correctly otherwise you will get spurious readings. The do not react reliably to side loads.

I also like the Starrett Universal Indicator (plunger on the back) for being quick to set up and reliable.

When the situation requires it I use one of my Compacs (0.001" or 0.0001".)

Best to buy an LW new unless you can check it out first. The sets are pretty versatile for different setups that can be done.

-DU-

I've got one, it came in a box of tools I bought as a package deal. I've had it (complete set) for maybe 12 or 13 years, and I've used it maybe 3 times.
If you're shopping for a new indicator, buy something with dovetails on it that can be used with a minimum of fuss with the majority of universal indicator holders....or like John Weldon says, buy an Interapid (I've been lusting after one of them for years :drool5:)
Normally, I don't endorse buying anything but American, but the best bang for the buck I've found was my Mitutoyo, at the time I bought it, it was about 40% the price of a new Last Word, and is superior in every way except cosmetics.

the last words are great for akward stuff because they're so small. I use mine once in awhile.

but the workhorse is the mitutoyo quick set dial test indicators, there just better for overall use.

I've been using the same .001 Last Word for 50 years, it's at least 60 years old. Got it used from my father and it still works like new. It's handy in tight spots. Have the .0001 Last Word also, it's a completely different design.

Today I'd buy a dovetail mount such as Interapid, have those too and use them more.

To those who propose the Interapid indicator...

Is the Interapid better than the Brown & Sharpe Bestest indicators?

Thank you, John.

Someone gave me an old Starrett last word 0.001" indicator a few months ago. It's ok for some tight work, but otherwise, I use my interapid.

I have an interapid 0.0005" at home (flea market, $40, including extra tips and mounts), and use a B&S 0.0005" at work. The interapid is better (easier to setup), although there are times when I prefer the B&S dovetails on top of the indicator. The interapid has a different measuring angle (12* instead of 20* or 30*?), and a longer tip, which is nice for reaching spaces.

I think for a 0.00005" (50 millionths) indicator, I would prefer the B&S design. There are times when the long, round mitutoyo DTI's are nice for reaching confined spaces without extra-length tips.

I go for interapid #1, then B&S, then maybe Mitutoyo when picking test indicators for work.

I've got, I think, two of them. Both are "sticky", but are not gummed up at all, they move free except when actually measuring. :rolleyes5:

I borrowed another one at work a while back, it was new, barely used. It was sticky also, same as mine, so I returned it with thanks....... brought in my old Federal the next day.

I use one when I absolutely have to because of the setup, and then I "sorta" believe what it says.

Hi, Just looking thru the new MSC flyer, was surpised to see Last Word Indicators. .0005 complete set $184.00. My question is does anybody buy and/or use Last Words any more?

Thanks, Shoppie

Haha, what else is there? I've been using mine for at least 15 years unless I need more sensitivity. But I guess I'm so used to it, it is more due to habit and familiarity with setups than accuracy.

Based on what everyone is saying, maybe I'll have to break out the interapid indicator I bought about 5 years ago but have never used!

Mike Muha

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that,as mentioned by previous posters, Interapid made an indicator with a dovetail stem. One of the reasons I like mine, apart from their accuracy and quality, is that they don't have a dovetail stem. Mine have the stem on a built in swivel. For me, it makes it a lot less fussy when setting up.

Like David, I also have a Starrett universal indicator with the back plunger, .001" resolution. As he says, it's great for quick and dirty setups and the set of wide radius points that it comes with make it ideal for running over rough stock, mill scale, etc.

Used mine for 40 years. Bought it used. It is 0.001 and will not drive you nuts like a 0.0001 will. A good tool and die maker can read tens on a 0.001 indicator.. Besides - an indicator like the one we are talking about is only good for transferring dim's from a planer-or Cadillac gage or for checking run out. To check actual dim's you have to have an indicator with a brand new point or you have to calculate using the formula provided.

I've got, I think, two of them. Both are "sticky", but are not gummed up at all, they move free except when actually measuring. :rolleyes5:

That is exactly how I would describe mine.

I use an Interapid exclusively, but it is the one I started with and habits are formed easily. Although it is also a compliment that I have never considered a replacement for it either.

re: Interapid vs brown & Sharpe. When I was an apprentice I bought an Interapid. Thought that ias king with that indicator. One day I had a very tight grind job. I set up the indicator so that I could compare the work to a block stack on the chuck. When I turned the chuck on the Interapid locked up. I tried it with a Brown & Sharpe and no problem. I sold that thing 2 weeks later and now have Compac, Brown & Sharpe, and a Last Word.

To those who propose the Interapid indicator...

Is the Interapid better than the Brown & Sharpe Bestest indicators?

Thank you, John.

The Interapid has made a real name for itself and from what I've seen, it's industry standard in modern shops. You will surely be able to do quality work with one. They are almost indestructible. You will be happy.

It aint a matter of what's "better." It's a matter of what works. No one indicator works for all indicating problems. The Last Word indicator's virtues are they are very compact and about half the weight of the usual modern day DTI. I used the Last Word a LOT back in the day. Within reason, they're quite rugged but not really suitable for every day GP use and they don't take shock well.

If you need an indicator to access awkward or difficult features where the whole damn indicator has to slip into a tight space the Last Word is the bomb. I used mine extensively when line boring split case double suction pumps where I had 1/2" or less between the boring bar and the bore being checked.

Last edited:
I need to buy my first indicator for my SB lathe and small mill in my home shop and can't afford Interapid. I had planned to buy a Mitutoyo 2416S 1" indicator and Noga DG61003 base.

Will this be ok for my general purposes? Tiny

I need to buy my first indicator for my SB lathe and small mill in my home shop and can't afford Interapid. I had planned to buy a Mitutoyo 2416S 1" indicator and Noga DG61003 base.

Will this be ok for my general purposes? Tiny

HOYAH!!!!

you got yourself a fine setup there mister, it will suit you just fine.

Back