What's new
What's new

Starting a garage machine shop 1st machine.

Ed aparicio

Plastic
Next Saturday I pick up my new
Leblond 14" lathe maybe a 1916. Love old iron.
It has a gear box I think 8 speeds. Max
RPM around 600 and the low 58, listed on a plate on the front. 220 single phase 1hp. Has a threaded spindle, taper attatchment I tested it works good. Both feeds work, I looked for broken gears but they look good. Tail stock morse taper no2. The compound has a weird shape to it.
The ways look bad. The cross slide has .010 -.015
Back lash. The carrage handle not so good.
Oil was slinging in the head stock, has a rounded cover that hinges open can see gears. Has a clutch handle just lower left of the chuck. No pics yet. I did cut chips testing it. Any one have one? Let me know. Has Babbitt bearings.
Thank
Can't wait.

QT: [Starting a garage machine shop 1st machine.]

Advertise on craigslist?..Ways look bad, how so? Cross .010/15 no problem/ carraige back-lash no problem..

QT: [Next Saturday I pick up my new] be sure you don't dump it over and so break the handles

Yea the 14" looks close.
The center small knob has 3 positions in the pic
This 14" Leblond has a 4 position rotates 180 deg's.
Does this one have back gears?
The 14" has back gears.
The clutch operates pretty smooth can start it slow or fast. The back gears seem smooth and quite
But the tall gears kinda noisy. I Ready to make parts, machinist jacks on the list. Has the same cast iron legs. The was from a navy ship, as I was told from the previous owner. It has a cool navy blue paint job, looks old. Pics coming and the move.
I will be extra careful as to not tip this over very top heavy.

This is no business just a garage with old conventional machines. I really like old iron the looks and designs of some old machines are just cool with heavy castings. Just making prototypes and custom tooling for fun. It's great making chips. Pics coming Sunday. This 14" Leblond is just a classic 100 year old iron.

This is no business just a garage with old conventional machines. I really like old iron the looks and designs of some old machines are just cool with heavy castings. Just making prototypes and custom tooling for fun. It's great making chips. Pics coming Sunday. This 14" Leblond is just a classic 100 year old iron.

Good on yah!

Done my bit. Grew a beard so the Chinese don't have to scarf up so much of our Old Iron for razor blades...

:)

This is cool and nice, but not a machine shop.
Its a hobby.

A machine shop is a business.

If new to a lathe. be sure all is oiled up good. Take extra care to not break any thing. Roll the spindle even if it doesn't need that changing gears and speeds. Be able to turn good threads like it is old hat, learn how to be quick and easy to go to centers...That should be old hat also. Having a steady can be very handy. *Perhaps put a key switch on the start button likely cost only a few bucks and might save your ass or your kid's arm/life.. Read how to run a lathe. Get a bench grinder and some old HSS bit from Ebay.. that will show how they are shaped to just hold them to a not running bench grinder to know how to sharpen.. You can get an insert holder or two. Add few files for hardness check of work stock..*Don't make gun silencers..Actually don't do any gun work at all.. perhaps three years down the road after learning all the rules. Don't buy a junk new chuck..

Leblond 14" is a very nice lathe..

Picked up the 1916 Leblond 14" lathe Saturday
Looks fantastic. Have great pics but having trouble uploading them, need to use my computer, the mobile doesn't work, something I'm not doing right. The ways are better than I thought, very usable. This machine probably weigh's around 3000 lbs.The bed has a open casting with one cross member only between the head stock and tail stock centered. The tail stock is more than 80 lbs.
I started my machining career very early cutting my 1st chips at 13 years old. Conventional machining is how I started. Working in high school I had two classes for work experience. Started @ 5am till 8:30 at a screw machine shop cleaning parts. Recieved my AA degree at 19 for nc programming 1979 befor cnc's. Cal Poly Pomona for an Engineering Degree in Manufacturing technology 1982.
Now I do solidworks design and mastercam 5 axis programming. Been a CNC shop owner for 25 years. Very sorry for no pics yet.

Back