What's new
What's new

Startrite CF315M Cold Saw Gearbox Oil?

Arc-On

Aluminum
Hey guys,

I just picked up a used cold saw for my shop. I'm giving it the usual new/used machine going through, and the "oil" in the gearbox is really thick. Like, thick glue, almost like grease that will flow, but barely. I don't have a ton of experience with gearboxes, but every one I've tinkered with has had oil more like the consistency of way oil or so.

I don't have a manual. I think Startrite is owned by Kalamazoo now? Maybe I can get one?

Either way, any pointers on gearbox lubricant would be helpful.

Thanks!

27412206978_1fa65945a3_c.jpg

41284920021_0a6e07ca2b_c.jpg

It appears that the motor drives a worm gear (probably steel) that engages and drives a worm pinion (probably bronze) attached to the saw blade.

There is a lot of sliding friction in such gears, so I'd bet that automotive hypoid gear oil would work just fine.

Joe Gwinn

I have a Startrite H175 band saw I my shop. The operators manual on this machine says the gear box is in fact filled with grease. Here's some narrative from the manual:

NOTE: The main drive gear box is grease sealed for life and should not require further service.

The gear box is probably filled with an NLGI #1 or #0 gear grease. Very common for saws (my wells uses also).
Do not use any type of automotive lubricants in a machine tool unless the manufacturer specifies it! Bad things can happen and it's been covered many times before in other threads.
JR

Back