What's new
What's new

Startrite H175 bandsaw motor

Bill D

Diamond
There is a startrite H175 bandsaw for sale near me for $325 that needs electrical work. It looks like the motor is missing the fan shroud and has loose wires. So is this a standard motor that I can replace or does it have some weird gear machined onto the shaft?
Replacing all the electrical stuff on a British machine tool does not seem like a bad idea. Is that a good price for a 7x11 machine? From what I can find it is a vertical/horizontal saw despite the H designation. I think it weighs about 300 pounds complete.

Bill D.

I have one and it's a great machine. For that money you should jump on it and refurb it.

I rewired mine anyway with a latching motor starter and momentary switches. As factory wired, it would shut off after the cut, then come back on when you lifted the blade again, which i found dangerous and unsettling.

The motor drives the wheel through a belt and gearbox.

I have one and it's a great machine. For that money you should jump on it and refurb it.

I rewired mine anyway with a latching motor starter and momentary switches. As factory wired, it would shut off after the cut, then come back on when you lifted the blade again, which i found dangerous and unsettling.

The motor drives the wheel through a belt and gearbox.

If the machine is properly wired the motor does not restart when the blade is lifted. It sounds like yours had either a bad or improperly wired latching relay. I 've had the same machine over 15 years and never had that problem. When the blade finishes the cut the frame hits a limit switch which removes power and shuts off the motor. The motor doesn't restart until the start switch is reactivated.

The owners manual is still available through Clausing. It has a complete wiring diagram.

As for the belt it's rather unique. Rather than a standard V belt it's a miniature version similar to the ones used to power the wheels on the older Lawn Boy mowers

There is a startrite H175 bandsaw for sale near me for $325 that needs electrical work. It looks like the motor is missing the fan shroud and has loose wires. So is this a standard motor that I can replace or does it have some weird gear machined onto the shaft?
Replacing all the electrical stuff on a British machine tool does not seem like a bad idea. Is that a good price for a 7x11 machine? From what I can find it is a vertical/horizontal saw despite the H designation. I think it weighs about 300 pounds complete.

Bill D.

The Startrite H175 bandsaw is made in England and imported to the US by Clausing. It is built for the US market. The H designation means it is designed primarily as a Horizontal saw. It's the only one in the lineup that can be used both horizontally and vertically. It uses a 3/4 hp, single phase, 115 volt, 60 cycle motor. If memory serves correctly it's a 1725 rpm motor. It's a plug and play machine. There are 4 designations of the machine. The H175W is a stationary model with coolant. The H175D is a stationary model dry cut saw, the H175MD is a mobile dry saw, and the H175MW is a mobile model with coolant.

Here's a link to a brochure:
http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/startrite horizontal band cut off machines brochure.pdf

Got it today. Looks pretty good except for the motor and wiring. Any idea if the motor is metric shaft or not? As long as I am replacing the motor I may as well go to three phase and vfd.
Not sure why but it does not want to tip up to full vertical. It was getting cold and dark so I did not hunt for a latch too hard. I figure there may be a latch that has to be engaged or disengaged to get the saw up beyond a certain angle. which seemed about 60 degrees up.
Bill D.

Any one have a link to an instruction book or wiring diagram?

Got it today. Looks pretty good except for the motor and wiring. Any idea if the motor is metric shaft or not? As long as I am replacing the motor I may as well go to three phase and vfd.
Not sure why but it does not want to tip up to full vertical. It was getting cold and dark so I did not hunt for a latch too hard. I figure there may be a latch that has to be engaged or disengaged to get the saw up beyond a certain angle. which seemed about 60 degrees up.
Bill D.

Any one have a link to an instruction book or wiring diagram?

As I recall the tension spring for using it in the horizontal position has to be disconnected as well as the cylinder that controls the descent. There are also a couple other things that get changed like disconnecting the coolant lines.

I'm on the road right now and don't have the manual with me so all of this is from memory. As for the manual you can call or e mail Clausing and ask for one. It does contain the wiring diagram.

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/#

Again if I recall correctly they sent me one free of charge. It's a spiral bound manual. There are several online sources as well.

Tony's Lathes from the UK has them for sale:

Model: H175 | store.lathes.co.uk

There are several available online in pdf format. Be careful though if you intend to download one. The one I tried alerted my security software that it contained malware

I got a used H175 in 2012, and around 2015 the motor started heating up the wiring to the point it smoked. I pulled out ALL the wiring and scrapped the motor (it got super hot even when running on its own). I installed a brand new Maraton motor with a wire going directly to an outlet so the motor switch didn't use anything on the saw. I removed the coolant pump and wiring too. I add drops of cutting fluid manually instead of spray coolant.

The gearbox just let go on me today though :(
The worm gear is missing a quarter of the teeth. Searching for a new saw now
The

Back