What's new
What's new

Steel Hole Punching

MegBaer

Plastic
I am trying to find the best solution to some tooling issues that I am having. I have low carbon steel inch tubing.

O.D.: .375±.002
I.D.: .305±.002
Wall Thickness: .035

We have a mandrel that goes into the tube, a punch comes down and pierces the steel. On all other size tubing the slug from the punch will come out, but with this size the slug seems to stick inside. I am looking for new punch tooling or alternative punch tooling.

I am trying to find the best solution to some tooling issues that I am having. I have low carbon steel inch tubing.

O.D.: .375±.002
I.D.: .305±.002
Wall Thickness: .035

We have a mandrel that goes into the tube, a punch comes down and pierces the steel. On all other size tubing the slug from the punch will come out, but with this size the slug seems to stick inside. I am looking for new punch tooling or alternative punch tooling.

I work on the Sheet Metal side of thing but we use what is called a Slug Hugger Die. Has ribs in the Die that grab onto the slug to keep it from popping. The other thing we have done is drilled a small hole in the punch and inserted a small piece of Neoprene in the holes hanging out 1/32-1/16. This pushed the slug farther into the die.

Have you checked out Wilson Tool International? They may have a solution for you:

https://www.wilsontool.com/getattachment/5843190b-c6d6-4055-b3ad-d3de79765e08/Slug-Hugger®-2-and-4L-Flyer

Not sure if this helps.

Back