What's new
What's new

OT - NYC parking ticket scam

baran3

Cast Iron
Beware of the Bogus NYC Parking Ticket Scam

At the bottom of that link is a comment from someone from Maryland that is the exact same situation that happened to me. Mailed an overdue parking ticket from NYC when you have never been there. All information on the ticket is correct except for color of your car. That is the only information not on your registration. They look up your state registration information and make a ticket that they accept no defense for. Color being wrong doesn't matter, I sent this as an explanation along with the unprovable "i was never there". I figured it was a blatant error on the ticket its just a parking ticket for a out-of-state vehicle so they will just throw it out. Wrong. How far is someone supposed to go to disprove a fraudulent parking ticket? Anyone heard of other people with similar stories about bogus NYC tickets. If so what did they do? Eventually they start sending you tickets saying they can contact creditors about you not paying your fine. Basically NYC is full of scum.

here they have to have a photograph of the offending vehicle parked where the ticket says it was parked.

That happened 40+ years ago in Philadelphia while Rizzo was police comissioner. Once it became notorious, most of the tickets were dismissed, but it took a few years of news reports etc. My grandmother got one for a car that never got within 50 miles of Phila.

The same thing happened to our accountant in chicago a couple years ago. The only way he was able to beat it was to prove he was out of the country at the time and his car was in the parking garage at the airport.

There are a couple of ways to "prove" that it would be difficult or impossible for you to have been there at the date and time of the ticket. EZ-Pass records that show you were somewhere else or simply too far away at the time, vehicle repair records, parking lot records (where I work vehicles are logged in but not out), other parking/traffic tickets, possibly GPS records, credit card transactions, ATM transactions, basically anything that puts you or your vehicle too far away.

Many cities and "parking enforcement services" now photograph the vehicle at the location. I don't know if NYC normally does or not.

Unfortunately for me... the best "proof" I have of not being in the city at a certain time is limited by the fact that I am only about 45 minutes from mid-town Manhattan. My car could be logged in to the parking area at 9:00 and I could turn around and head directly to NYC and get a ticket by 9:45 (assuming I could beat rush hour traffic... but you get the idea.)

-DU-

NYC parking ticket scam

Several years this happened to me and the AAA. took care of it for me.
It might be worth giving them a call.

This is really bizarre. Not that I would be surprised at a government doing something crooked or stupid, but I wouldn't expect something like this.

Jeff

That happened 40+ years ago in Philadelphia while Rizzo was police comissioner. Once it became notorious, most of the tickets were dismissed, but it took a few years of news reports etc. My grandmother got one for a car that never got within 50 miles of Phila.

Head's up- they're at it again- a couple of my co-workers in the Chambersburg area have gotten parking tickets from Philly recently- and one of them has never been to Philly in his life!

Brownies

This is a scam done by the "Brownies" they are the parking Authority ticket writers. Say a MD car with plate AB123Z, is parked legal or not and a Brownie takes the # changes to AB123Z to AB132Z, submits the ticket to the system and you get the ticket.

This is done so the they can show how hard they are working, by increasing the citation count. This while they write tickets in the warmth of a car on a cold day.

If the Boss tells them the count is low for the month they just invent the vehicles to make it happen.

I got one from San Francisco when I lived in Pleasanton.
Same license number, red van.
I have a blue/blue Bronco.

A letter and photo convinced them I was innocent, maybe a idiot or computer glitch.

Does New York give tickets by plate number? I suppose a moving violation if they can not catch the driver. I would expect all the other tickets to be from vin #. Would be easy to misread a digit or two. and if they are not online no way to catch the difference.

re: San Francisco, got in trouble about one year ago for their red light cameras. They were subcontracted by a company in Arizona who wrote the tickets by computer and owned the cameras. Since they are not a police force their tickets are not valid.
Bill D.

Just recently in San Fran, they got spanked by the state for not including the VIN number on parking tickets. If the ticket didn't have their VIN, it could be thrown out. One way to maybe beat the ticket. Check to see if New York State requires the VIN to be on the ticket.

Tom

Back