What's new
What's new

QCTP Maintenance

mjk

Titanium
I have a wedge type "C" size qctp that is probably a Phase II.

The tag is no longer attached and the only marking is a "42" stamped on the side.

I decided to take it apart to see if I could get a smoother release.
Found crud in the bottom of the housing and the screw has some rust.
The lock lever has a groove on the bottom that looks to accept an o-ring that would probably seal the internals.

Am I correct in there should be an o-ring?

How often do you take yours apart for a thorough cleaning?

Lubricant?

Mike

How often do I take apart? About once every 20 years.
Don't know what the chinese ones have for seals, but my Aloris has a felt seal in the top.

If my tool post was acting up and I had to take apart, I'd first clean with solvent, then into the ultrasonic. The rusty spots would be bead blasted and the whole thing packed with grease for assembly.
JR

First thing I did was soak in solvent and pick out the crud.
Wire brushed the threads, bead blaster not available till spring
After the solvent dip, it appears the remnants of the tag pins match the size of an Aloris.
I have a C piston type that was a backup that came with the lathe

The groove measured to accept a 3" od x 1/8" nom o-ring.
I'll try that before sourcing the felt.

What is considered normal for release travel before the wedges release?
I have about 10 degrees rotation before it will start to release.
Its not worth replacing as it still works/lock, but curious

re the piston type
How do the pistons come out?

The pistons have to be pulled out to release the center cam.There are light springs inside that hold the pistons in.The piston end that rubs against the cam will become grooved after a while allowing the cam to almost overcenter and it will be very hard to release the tool block when that happens. You can turn the buttons 90 deg for a stop gap solution,don't know if you can buy them but can easily make them.

The cheap holders have no seals but you can add grooves and o'rings where necessary to keep coolant out.

Meant to say that the square outer part of the piston is screwed to the inner part which when pulled outwards will let the center cam drop out of the block then the the pistons can be pushed inward to fall out( obviously after unscrewing the square part).

I also added o'rings to our wedge TP holders.

"Put a zerk on it ....."

Had considered that
Treat it like an old school ball joint, pump in the new grease until clean grease exits

"The groove measured to accept a 3" od x 1/8" nom o-ring.
I'll try that before sourcing the felt."

3" x 1/8" o-ring provides to much resistance

Back