Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    "It's only a story because it's a Yale student."

Respectfully disagree John. It would be a story no matter where it
    happened. The number of individuals killed while operating a lathe,
    nationwide, has been zero for probably ten years. Last one was
    that guy who got wrapped up in his work, you've seen the photo.
    Jim - I know of at least two lathe accidents in the last couple of years that resulted in horrific fatalities.

Man dies in industrial accident in North Portland | OregonLive.com

The father of one of my daughters friends and schoolmates.

I have found that accidents like this rarely get press . . . as a result, people aren't as aware how often they occur.

The young lady died as a result of poor training / improper level of respect / attention for the machine. It is a story because it is a heart tugger to read of a young beautiful girl killed by a machine. It sells . . .

Writing a story about an old man who was killed at work one day isn't a recipe for big news sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MG it's a story for me because several of my co-workers used to inhabit the shop where
    she died. But the assertion that it's only getting press because it's yale and she's
    a she, has just been disproved.

By you.

An old guy who dies in an idustrial acccient - reported in the press. Something
    JW said would not happen.

I think any time a person tangles with a lathe and dies, it's gonna be horrific. Nobody
    goes sweetly off into the night that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While not denying it's a tragedy all round, could I counsel a little caution until the post mortem results are published, eg she could have had a heart attack etc etc etc (I'm not an MD) that caused her to get caught up,... it happens.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim,

I was talking Fox news, national press, not the local paper.

I stand by my assertion that if it were a minority kid at the local votech, no one would give a shit. Only cute young white chicks matter. Bonus if they're at an ivy league school. Look at Natalee Holloway, hot blond chick disappears, it's the biggest deal in the world. Some fat black chick named Shaniqua Johnson goes missing, no one cares.

Like was said before, it's about what sells, not about how significant or not the story is. A White female Yale student dying in a lathe sells a lot better than a male or a non white or non ivy league.

5. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are quite right John, it is called white woman syndrome, but it equally applies to white children as well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fellow I knew got crushed in a printing press here while inside, someone didn't lock it out properly I guess. Father, husband, sportsman etc. All he got was an obit. Not newsworthy I conclude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not arguing with John Welden on that score - how many kids in the US got shot last night just for being on the street? - I tried to find out with the help of Google - didn't get far, and I'm not blaming Google.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim - not to be disrespectful - but just want to make a point that for the very first time in my life I found something with which to agree with John Welden . . .

You made the assertion that there hadn't been a fatality in 10 years related to a lathe accident.

Since I am aware of two via. the local news and via my daughters friend, I wanted to illustrate how little press these events get as evidenced by your claim that this hasn't happened in the US during the last decade.

Apparently this happens far more often than one might think - as again, it rarely makes the (national) news.

lathe accident killed OR died OR dies - Google Search

Or just read the Practical Machinist every once in a while . . . http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...safety-197240/

10. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad that it happened, it is near the end of the school year so I am sure she was working flat out on her senior project.

In Engineering school we used to do the same thing - pull all nighters in the machine shop, just had to be more than one person in the shop. Shoptech would lock up all the tools in the cabinets to cover himself, knowing that we unscrewed the hinges as soon as he left.

My closest call so far was after one of those 18 hour straight sessions in the shop. I forgot to take the wrench off the drawbar on the bridgeport, turned it on and that wrench came around and pinned my hand to the switch while the drawbar unscrewed and the collet and tool fell out before I even know what was going on. Shop tech told me to go home and get some rest and not to come back to the shop for at least 6 hours. I'm glad that that was the worst that happened to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of second guessing going on here- I would put money on the fact that every single one of us has done something dangerous at one time or another around a machine.
    Some of us never even knew it. Some got away scot free, shaken up.. Some got mildly hurt. But we all got the grace of a second chance- this young woman sadly did not.

And as an aside, having lost children of my own, I find it demeaning to hear comments about this only being news because she was a white woman- it was a tragic rare accident, and an agony to her loved ones that will never go away. Please just let it rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Hispanic man got pulled into a dough mixing machine in Brooklyn and that got press. (NY Post). I think it's callous to say no one gives a damm unless it's a white girl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stoneaxe View Post
    A lot of second guessing going on here- I would put money on the fact that every single one of us has done something dangerous at one time or another around a machine.
    Some of us never even knew it. Some got away scot free, shaken up.. Some got mildly hurt. But we all got the grace of a second chance- this young woman sadly did not.

I was going to mention that as well.

All of us that "doo" stuff, have goten hurt and had close calls around sometihng that shook us up, or at least made us go

Those of us that lived to tell about it the first time, tend not to repeat those quite the same next time.

Of course not everyone gits a second shot at it. I'm not faulting her. Just a $hit happens moment.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I'm against this line of thinking....

A s/b with a flat belt drive running a little 6" chuck a 1500 rpm
    would have the same outcome with hair involved.

Treat the spindle as having "Unlimited force" just as you SHOULD
    treat any gun as loaded.

I still don't understand why these places do not have to fall
    under the same rules from O.S.H.A. as any shop.

Just like county municiple workers don't need to use trenchboxes.
    I agree, 1/2 hp in back gear will pull parts of your body off and crush other ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I live in Modesto Ca. how many hear heard of lacy and Connor Peterson? How many know here know her family is a milionare trucking company? I first saw about $250,00 worth of suvs putting up posters on one of our main streets here. Then saw news reports the next day and connected the two events.
    the Yosemite tourists? the mother & daughter or the rich girl from South America?
    Bil lD.
    PS: it is nice when people hear I am from Modesto they no longer instantly link it to grissly murders. Now it is graffity Night which was forced out about ten years ago because of gang killings etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on stoneaxe's comments above. Eloquent indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An article in todays Hartford Courant said that she had taken a shop safety course. I only know one student shop and that was at Princeton University Physics lab. If you took the machine shop course and associated safety talks you got a key to the shop that would allow access. NO key NO access NO exceptions. She was likely rushed trying to finish a project. Not that that matters when the result is so horrible. I cant not say that I have never taken a safety risk to finish a job. But with years I move slower and more carefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree this is only an AP story because it involves an "elite" female student. If it had been some random inner city kid at a vocational school it would not be on CNN.

You can read OSHA reports if you want to see all the accidents that never get reported in the press. Yesterday I was reading about two Mexicans that got sucked into a sheet steel slitting machine. Gruesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found the full info on the one you get googling for gruesome lathe accident.

2009, February 26, Barboursville, West Virginia - Police have released the name of the man who died in an accident at a Barboursville plant Wednesday. It happened at Sulzer Metco Coatings. Barboursville Police say 56-year-old Dwight Morrison died of severe trauma to his upper torso after being pulled into a large piece of lathe machinery. The accident happened in the shipping & receiving department at the plant.

Weekly Toll: Weekly Toll: Death in the American Workplace

OSHA fined the company $56,250 for 23 violations

Worker pulled into lathe, killed; OSHA fines company

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This story is terrible and heartbreaking. A machine shop being a small or large one should have a strict safety environment. Shops like this one do not seem to have the depth of experienced people who have been exposed to operations where safety is a focus. Most all of us know of someone being injured or even ourselves we know what happens as we have seen it. They do not have to experience it yet they can be exposed to information which heightens their awareness. Most places make it mandatory there is to be more than one person in the shop at the same time. Also rules must be implemented and enforced. Despite all of this there are still injuries yet a lot less. Too sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I was teaching a machine shop class, I'd set the students on their stools, each with a bucket by their feet. I'd show some pics and vids of the results of unsafe actions, including the one where the young guy gets yanked under the rod he's sanding.

That one's also a lesson in how NOT to respond to such an incident. Power Off First! The second thing they should have done was grabbed the chuck key to get the rod loose. Instead they spend minutes running around doing everything except the first two things they should have done. The first man on the scene could have gotten wrapped up too, grabbing the rod with his bare hands instead of hitting the off switch.

Then I'd tell the class to pick up their buckets and hit them with the photos of Dwight Morrison. "Anyone want to choose a different class?"