What's new
What's new

Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWA Guy

Aluminum
I am refurbishing a horizontal/vertical manual milling machine and have hit a brick wall. In my attempt to remove the horizontal spindle I am stumped by the retaining nuts on the spindle shaft. There are no flats and only dimples “machined” into its circumference. I am at a loss as to the best method to grip these in order to remove them and later install them. Can anyone provide a little guidance? Custom vice-grip mod?

I think that I'll replace these with something else when I reassemble it, so if I need to destroy these nuts to remove them, I'm ok with that.

Here's a pic of the two nuts...

Nuts.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guy

Somebody else has had a pipe wrench on it. Save that as a last resort.

Actually...... sometimes all one needs IS a Stilson or Rigid pattern pipe wrench.. even a high-grade "Channelock" in a large size.

AND of course, a salvaged length of Serpentine belting that not only pads the sharp jaws, but multiplies their grip before they even reach metal.

Try it. You'll know really quickly if it solves the problem or no.

And.. 'nice to know' beforehand whether the threads are left or right handed, yah?

Bill

90% of the spanner wrench nuts I've EVER seen look just like that. Mainly because noone ever has, or cares to obtain the correct wrench and instead use punches, pipe wrenches, chisels, etc. to bust them loose or tighten them. In a pinch, you can at very least insert a dowel pin and knock that around. If the sides are too far gone, you can drill a new hole, oversize the old one, or as stated, mill flats.

Probably the simplest method designed to turn a nut, but the more it's mis-turned, the worse it gets.

I have several pin spanners, but these dimples are too shallow and don't allow the wrench a good purchase on the nut.

So I tried the pick and poke method and it worked. a 1/4" pin punch and a copper mallet worked perfectly. Left-hand thread too.

Thanks to all those who responded!

Guy

They were holes for a pin spanner, take a strong pick and poke around.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back