What's new
What's new

Subaru "Billet" Block

wheels17

Stainless
This may still be a misuse of the term billet, but it sure must have been a big chunk of aluminum before they started machining.

It's a completely CNC machined block for a Subaru from the solid. Very pretty compared to the cast version.

I'd love to see a video of the machining.. Here's a teaser

WREJBB Willall Racing Subaru WRX/STi Billet Block - YouTube

They claim to get 1000 HP out of the block. (Mine gets 170). More shots of the block

WREJBB Subaru 1HP Sideways - YouTube

On sale at IAG for the low, low price of $9,999.99.

IAG Willall Billet Aluminum EJ25 Subaru Case Halves | Subaru Multiple – Modern Automotive Performance

More discussion of the block benefits, and more views.
Willall EJ25 Billet Block VS. Stock - A Full Comparison - YouTube

Get with the times. Its MilSpec 7075 the same kind of Aluminum used in the Courageous iPhone 7.

C and C billet is the best billet. You wana power coat it though or it'll rust on you.

I run power coated billet dimon plate on my rig. Shit looks sick. $$$$ though. Worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That ain't nuthin' Welden I got ano on my cylinder bores, plus adamantium rockers, and plexi glass head gaskets. And it all Mil. Spec. 14. Waaa

what strikes me is that the coolant passages are much smaller. might be o.k. for drags. they should really cast an iron block.

Billet jokes aside, a block that thick has drastically lower material properties compared to a real forging. Not only do they they use silly language, and waste a bunch of expensive aluminum but they also make a block that probably is actually less strong where it counts.

L

Engine blocks aren't forged

How much does aluminum cost?
compare to new engine blocks

10 grand,

less than a grand in material, plus liners

Wonder how much faster it would be machined if they hadn't made it so pretty, don't see the point of that level of finish for an engine block

I'd have to think you'd need to do some stress relieving (thermal cycling) to that thing before it ever 'settled in' dimensionally.

But the real question is..."Why?" Does anyone really need a block that fancy to stop at Whole Foods Market to buy some new Birkenstock sandals and organic granola?

I'd have to think you'd need to do some stress relieving (thermal cycling) to that thing before it ever 'settled in' dimensionally.

But the real question is..."Why?" Does anyone really need a block that fancy to stop at Whole Foods Market to buy some new Birkenstock sandals and organic granola?

I believe, now it's just a hunch....that people are, GASP, racing these things....:crazy:

Cast aluminum, or iron, blocks, make great sense and can be made at a reasonable cost- assuming you are making a few hundred thousand a year. Millions is better.
But for short runs- even if this guy was selling 10,000 of these a year, which he obviously is not-
the amortization of the pattern and foundry costs means its cheaper to machine them.

Also, to put this in perspective, an Americun V8 block for high horsepower racing is in the same price range, and, companies like DART call their blocks "billet" too. And they machine theirs, too. Darts are well over six grand for a machined small block chevy.
BBC Billet Blocks – Dart

Dunno what a Keith Black is going for these days, but I would guess its a lot, considering that a used fully built Keith Black can go for $35,000.

Here is a billet block I built for a local guy a few years ago.
Starting size was 12x12x28"

At the end you could pick it up and hold it over your head with ease. The guy in the picture is the happy customer helping me prep it after the final machining op at 1 AM LOL

12042731_10153144189336616_8600286169798761747_n.jpg

12003312_10153144189286616_7530036980225062295_n.jpg

Back