What's new
What's new

old Wards Cement mixer design

Bill D

Diamond
kinda off topioc but it is a machine. I bought a used Montgomery wards cement mixer. I think the drum is held on by a nut inside the middle of the drum. this is covered by a iron sheet metal cap kind off like a solder on copper pipe cap. it is leaking a litlte oil/grease. Any idea on if this is something that was designed to come off. And a little grease shouldn't hurt a full load of cement should it? Since theree is a zerk for this bearing outside I doubt I will even try to fix this but thought I should ask.
Any idea who made mixers for wards in say the 1960's or 70's. Maybe they have a diagram on how this was supposed to go together.
Bill D.

The Sears mixer I had from the period looked like these, but it sounds like yours is different.
D04-8182.jpg

10.jpg

Roger

Cement mixer

I've worked on a couple old mixers that looked just like yours, replacing the drum bearings. Yes, that cap has to come of to access the nut that holds the bearing. The cap is sometimes threaded on but most often welded on (old machines) so you have some grinding to do. Then after repairs, some welding. If you allow clumps of grease to get in your concrete they will not harden but it would have to be a very large clump to give a problem.

John C

It should be two cone bearings and look simular to a trailer axle and hub. Might even be trailer bearings and hub cap.

Back