What's new
What's new

Substitute for Mobilfluid 423?

Mekanizm

Cast Iron
Assuming it's unavailable because I can't seem to find any. It is called out for the headstock lubrication in a Sheldon 15R lathe. Anybody know what I can substitute for it?

Mobilfluid 423 is listed under transmission fluids. Is has no ISO # applied in the Brief Product Descriptions book I have, but SUS @ 100 F° is given as 283 - not too far off from the 335 of DTE Heavy Medium (very commonly used in headstocks)

If your Sheldon has no hydraulic gadgets in the HS, I suggest DTE Heavy Medium by Exxon Mobil

John Oder

Mobilfluid 423

I have a fairly recent comparison chart showing it as an automatic transmission fluid other brands being: Conoco Powertran III, Shell Donax TD, Exxon Torque fluid 56, Co-op Tractor hydraulic Fluid.Other brands are listed, if they will help let me know.

The replacement for 423 is Mobilfluid 424. It is not automotive ATF nor is it hydraulic oil. When machine tool builders use a lube like this, it's usually because they have a wet clutch or a power shift (or both).

As old as that lube is, it's probably time for a drain and replace. You might be able to buy gallons of the comparible John Deere lube at a dealership. That would be JDN-JD20. Other places to try are TSC (tractor supply). They might have 1 or 2 gallon jugs. Look for the comparability to JDM-JD20, Catipiler TO-2, or Allison C-4.
JR

Back