What's new
What's new

Suggestion for smallish metal cutting bandsaw?

henrya

Titanium
I’d like to buy a small vertical metal cutting bandsaw. NOT a power bandsaw or portaband. I seldom work on things bigger than can be held in one hand and if I do I have a bigger saw (one of those that can’t be mentioned here because of its antique nature).

Maybe about a 4” cutting capacity would be useful to me. Throat capacity of 12” or so. A used machine would be my preference. Ability to tilt the table and maybe a miter guide slot would be nice. I tend toward professional grade tools, not junk.

What machines should I look for?

got the vertical/horizontal bandsaw from harbor freight almost 6 years ago and couldn't be happier

More than six years without one, so I may be happier yet. I have hand hacksaws I haven't had to use much, nor for anything at all demanding, either!

:D

More seriously, there have been rather mixed "reviews" of those.

Some users, some work, good enough, and long enough. Others less than pleased.

Criticism of blade guide quality/durability/design - or lack-thereof - seems to recur, for example.

Same again, basically the same item, several other brand names on them.

Can't see the harm in seeking better goods, even if it is "good enough for most ...".

I see the grob band filers selling used for low prices.

I always thought they would make a nice stout little bandsaw with some
guides.

I have had my Powermatic 143 for decades and am completely happy with it. I think it is better built than the Delta 14" metal saw.

Larry

Used several Powermatics. DP's mostly, and from "back in the day" they were Houdaille US-made products in ugly green with white "racing stripes". Awkward, crude, cheap-ass looking, noisy, and embarrassing to even have one seen in our shop.

Long running embarrassment, too.

Ugly ducklings always JFDI and never seemed to break anything important. Cover latch might fail. Bearings, not so much.

:)

Present-day ones are Taiwanese I THINK. Prolly still BFBI useful and durable though.

Powermatic looks like a good prospect. Never seen a 12” Doall - I’m talking 12” throat. As far as I can tell Doall 12” saw means 12” under the blade guides.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.
Anything else?

Powermatic looks like a good prospect. Never seen a 12” Doall - I’m talking 12” throat. As far as I can tell Doall 12” saw means 12” under the blade guides.

Anything else?

Never seen a DoAll bandsaw?

Borderline legendary, early-adopters of built-in blade welders...and very, very rarely "small".

Search on ebay for examples ... or ask Google for "images" of them.

Might not be what you want right now, but good to know of them.

Anything else?

I took a look and the smallest vertical DoAll I found has a 16" throat. A 12" would be interesting. I wonder if they made one.

Larry

Never seen a DoAll bandsaw?

Borderline legendary, early-adopters of built-in blade welders...and very, very rarely "small".

Search on ebay for examples ... or ask Google for "images" of them.

Might not be what you want right now, but good to know of them.

Work harder at comprehension, or simply take the time to read what I wrote.

Of course I have seen Doall saws. The 20 inchers are all over the place. I want smaller footprint and work area.

Work harder at comprehension, or simply take the time to read what I wrote.

Never seen a 12” Doall - I’m talking 12” throat. As far as I can tell Doall 12” saw means 12” under the blade guides.

Clear as mud both times. If you want to edit that, PM's time-out may still permit it.

"As far as I can tell" DoAll publishes the dimensions on just about everything. Not much mystery left,

This one is 1/4" under your 12" goal, 11 3/4", nominally:

DS-32M Band Saw | Dual Miter Band Saw, High Production Band Saw | DoALL Sawing

That may be a 13" that has given-up a bit for the mitering feature, so yes, if you insist, maybe they don't make an exactly 12".

Sure am glad you ain't trying to source a puppy dog..

:)

Re read, and then read again, his first post. Guy wants a vertical bandsaw and half of you are talking about horizontals. Vertical means up and down. I don't believe DoAll made a 12" vertical bandsaw.

Re read, and then read again, his first post. Guy wants a vertical bandsaw and half of you are talking about horizontals. Vertical means up and down. I don't believe DoAll made a 12" vertical bandsaw.

Y'all would look at what DoAll publishes and see the same basic capacity/dimensions or better in less floorspace, AS a "vertical" (only) , the "believe" and 'as far as I know" parts would be less of an issue.

What he WANTS - seems to require reading between the lines that he nudges about in adjustable increments. He wants "small" most, or "good saw" more, or "cheap more", or ...

WTF - Zorro can prolly ship one of these from stock:

DAYTON Vertical Band Saw,1-1'/'2 HP - 6Y942'|'6Y942 - Grainger

That's fine. One need not start a search, mind made-up already. It is part of why ANYONE seeks outside advice. Given some advantage to it, goals very well may be adjusted.

Just me, but I'd do without 'fore I ever ran my fourth "Dayton", BTW.

I have the old 14" Delta/Rockwell gearbox saw and it has been perfect. Small and compact, but a great saw.

As for the Grob bandfile, you would have to do some pretty serious modification to convert them to a bandsaw. The pulleys are sprockets, built to engage the file bands. You'd have to make three blade pulleys. And nobody is getting my band file to turn into a bandsaw! It takes up about four times more floor space than my 14" bandsaw, too.

Back