What's new
What's new

Support for Carbide Inserts

rcull

Plastic
I have a small face mill that needs some parts. I have spent some time trying to find them, and I am hoping someone might be able to help me by identifying exactly what I should be looking for.

The pictures I have attached are of the damaged support pieces. The cutters used are a 3/8" inside circle, but the support pieces have all been damaged. insert-1.jpginsert-2.jpginsert-measurements.jpg

Thanks

rcull: The triangle piece under the cutting insert is the anvil. Looks to be probably a generic anvil. Can you determine the thread size and pitch and type of head of the holddown screw ? The anvil screw will be a flathead with possible hex or torx type wrench use. Is there any brand info on the toolholder?

JH

Since you say "milling cutter", you might look for replacement "seat" or "shim seat" rather than "anvil". Same thing, just different word, which may help find it in a catalog. "Seat" is pretty common for milling and general turning holders, while "anvil" is more common for threading holders.

Have a look here. The nomenclature for insert seats is almost as standardized as for insert themselves. You want an ITSN-3xy, where the 3 is for 3/8 IC, the x depends on your existing seat thickness, and the y depends on the largest radius insert you intend to use.

Consider buying a new cutter. Triangle inserts for milling are not the best choice, even for a low powered machine.
I have one and only use it for low depth of cut (.010) facing.
Dave

rcull: The triangle piece under the cutting insert is the anvil. Looks to be probably a generic anvil. Can you determine the thread size and pitch and type of head of the holddown screw ? The anvil screw will be a flathead with possible hex or torx type wrench use. Is there any brand info on the toolholder?

JH

The "Anvil" is held in by the spring pin shown. The insert is clamped on by the screw and retainer above it.

Thanks

Since you say "milling cutter", you might look for replacement "seat" or "shim seat" rather than "anvil". Same thing, just different word, which may help find it in a catalog. "Seat" is pretty common for milling and general turning holders, while "anvil" is more common for threading holders.

Have a look here. The nomenclature for insert seats is almost as standardized as for insert themselves. You want an ITSN-3xy, where the 3 is for 3/8 IC, the x depends on your existing seat thickness, and the y depends on the largest radius insert you intend to use.

I had a look at the chart you pointed to, but it only describes 3/8 inside circles. The insert this supports has a 3/8" inside circle, but the "seat" or "anvil" does not. It seems closest to 5/16".

Thanks

Consider buying a new cutter. Triangle inserts for milling are not the best choice, even for a low powered machine.
I have one and only use it for low depth of cut (.010) facing.
Dave

I am not sure what "low Horsepower" is, mine is 5hp. Would your recommendation be a square insert, or round?

Thanks

If the seats are only as bad as the one shown I would re-use them; Easy to simply turn them so the damaged area is away from where full support is needed (at the cutting edge) and go on using them?
If the inserts are a popular variety and standard IC then an NC lathe bits hardware will likely match. Look in the parts section closely and watch the thickness because some use different back up seats for different thickness inserts in the same style holder!
Dan

Back