What's new
What's new

Best non traditional Materials for machining Jewelry out of

nordlichtFanuc

Plastic
Hi Folks

I was wondering about materials to best make jewelry out of and wanted to have some discussion about what you guys use.
Not like the classic jewelry metals (gold, silver), but metals or other materials which have an unique appereance, which is usable for making jewelry like rings, necklaces and so on..

I have the following on my list (will update list):

- Stainless steel
- Brass (oxidizes quite fast and can become "greenish")
- Bronze (watchout for Lead containing bronze)
- Monel 400 (got this from another Thread about jewelry, what do you guys think about it? Is it worth buying a rod of monell?)
- Titanium Grade 5
- Inconel
- Black Epoxy Resin to cast in groves turn and polish
- Tungsten (watchout for toxic effects of tungsten dust)

I made this ring from stainless and brass for my GF and am quite satisfied, now I would like to try other interesting stuff.
But I have no interest in the look of gold and silver.

ring.jpg

Last edited:
Monel and Inconel will be a challenge to machine if you don't have the right equipment and tooling. Titanium not far behind. I've seen several really nice pieces made out of titanium that have the advantage of being very light weight. Maybe add bronze to your list ?

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I guess Monel and Inconel are quite hard to machine. But I would love to just try it, for fun :)
Is I have never had these materials in my hand, its hard to say, if its worth to just by some cutoffs and feel it.

IMHO jewelry stuff should not be too light, as this could produce a "cheap" feeling.

Im looking into Bronze. Could we have an issue with toxic patina formation? As there is lots of copper in it? I indeed would like to look of Copper, but have not used it because of this reason.

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I guess Monel and Inconel are quite hard to machine. But I would love to just try it, for fun :)
Is I have never had these materials in my hand, its hard to say, if its worth to just by some cutoffs and feel it.

IMHO jewelry stuff should not be too light, as this could produce a "cheap" feeling.

Im looking into Bronze. Could we have an issue with toxic patina formation? As there is lots of copper in it? I indeed would like to look of Copper, but have not used it because of this reason.

Not more copper than brass, just different alloying elements. Brass also contains lead as often as not, so be careful about that for jewelry that touches the hands often. Inconel? I once grabbed a slice of it (maybe 3/16 thick, 1" wide bar) to make a spacer for a project and not knowing about what the stuff was I chewed up a whole 3/8" carbide endmill trying to take .010 off the top.

My favorite has been a meteorite my brother gave me to make some rings. Huge crystalline structure when polished. He mentioned it was some special type but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Timascus/damascus or another similar folded and forged material would look pretty cool.

You should go look at Patrick Adair on YouTube, this is link to his channel.

He makes rings from all sorts of things. For example, have you ever heard of Fordite? If you have not, check this video of his.

As I said, he uses many different materials, so don't get hung up if you don't like the idea of Fordite in particular. Just go check out his work, and get some ideas and inspiration. Then fly solo and experiment, find your own way.

Good luck.

Jacques

If you get into ceramics, you could mix in some brass & stainless powders into the mix
before firing.

The resulting composite might prove interesting.

Years ago, I bought a titanium bracelet for my wife. It was bent from small hex stock, so no machining was needed. The attraction for me was that the metal had a chemical/electrical color process with shades of blue, probably done after abrasive blasting.

Larry

My favorite has been a meteorite my brother gave me to make some rings. Huge crystalline structure when polished. He mentioned it was some special type but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Timascus/damascus or another similar folded and forged material would look pretty cool.

Ahh, I wanted one of those meteorite rings, but my now-wife "strongly encouraged" me to pick a plain white gold one. I like the ring, but I still look back and think of it as a missed opportunity. Meteorite one was a couple hundred cheaper, too.

Years ago, I bought a titanium bracelet for my wife. It was bent from small hex stock, so no machining was needed. The attraction for me was that the metal had a chemical/electrical color process with shades of blue, probably done after abrasive blasting.

Larry

i suspect they were tempering colors.

meteorite.JPGmeoeoriteringnoetch.JPGetched.JPG

stainless steel muonionalusta meteorite

almost 1' cube I bought for around $100 several years ago. prices has since skyrocketed....
1 ring turned and polished
2 rings after etching.

Back