What's new
What's new

lathe design

malbenbut

Cast Iron
This lathe is on UK e bay at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LATHE-STUDENT...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318
I dont know the make but the bed seems to be bolted to the face of the headstock casting rather than head being bolted to the top of the bed.
I would have thought it would be harder to set as accurate as the standard design nor as strong.
I've only seen this on woodturning lathes and a small second ops lathe.
Any know where it was made?
MBB

Not sure if I can make the same determination as you from just those pictures. But for 250BP and all those accessories it is obviously a scam. If you want to pick it up and pay shipping to NJ USA I can dispose of it properly for you ;-)

Go and look at it. I bet the headstock does mount to the bed from on top of the bed ways in some fashion. Looks like a nice 9"+ swing machine.

-DU-

IIRC that or it's twin has been on before, it had me puzzled then and I'm none the wiser now.

My first thought;- maybe an early Japanese gearhead?? or an old communist block job?

Seems quite well built, notice the coolant trough around the saddle.

For its size and length the 'box' of the ways seems quite deep and rigid. If it runs well and can go through all it's speeds and feeds... with all those attachments there is little else to get but cutting tools and stock. I see what looks like a taper attachment, 4-jaw (3 jaw on lathe), steady rest, follow rest, another tool post, change gears (for TPI threads?), micrometer stop, lever collet closer and a couple of other doodads I have no idea about.

Could be a really nice machine. Might be tough to find a manual in English.

-DU-

A dealer friend is guessing at an early Holbrook.I don`t know.The design of some handle and lever bosses is sort of familiar but can`t think where.

I emailed the seller asking centre height weight and make, this is the response.

.[Hi its got 5.5" center , not a gap bed ,but i have seen it cut down , guessing at a ton???, no make on it , just s 28 1966 , lovely smooth percision toolroom lathe , could be converted 240volt i think Cheers R K M ps thread cutting also]
MBB

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145226 I posted a question about this model lathe last year and here is the link.

While we didn't identify it then there was an identical lathe sold on ebay Australia a few months later and my friend contacted the seller who vey kindly gave him all the details.
It is Czhechoslavakian in origin, from the TOS stable and made in one of the satellite factories, probably MAAS. Built round the 1960-1970 period.

This is a proper toolroom lathe, very accurate when new and built to similar standards as the quality UK and continental toolroom lathes, massive ways, massive headstock etc etc. Provided it has not been neglected it could be a really good buy.

looks like a T.O.S. Zebrak as offered here by Machineco Canada

I have eyed this one for years....I love odd and/or complex toolroom lathes.

Brett

Attachments

• Lathe_11inX36in_TOS_Zebrak_Turcot_stkP0004.jpg
    Lathe_11inX36in_TOS_Zebrak_Turcot_stkP0004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3,277
Kovo S28 & Tos S28

Looking at the pictures seems for me very similar with my machine an KOVO s28 Lathe.
Mine is built back in 1953 but refurbished and working very well.

I'm not sure but seems like s28 was a model fabricated in more locations like Kovo Hodonin and Tos Zebrak, maybe more locations.

The S28 lathe has a metric range 0.5-44 mm as I know.

If somebody can help with the manuals will be great.

Thanks

Ovidiu Marginean
Bucuresti

Back