What's new
What's new

Taper pin question

jumpinjimmy447

Aluminum
I have a German machine I am working on , it has Metric taper pins , 10X50 mm pins. I can find metric pins at Granger and McMaster but I cannot determine the reamer . Are metric and standard taper pins the same degree of angle ? \

Metric taper pins are hard to find inthe US for some reason. Got a European source?

If this is for in-house use, it's probably simpler to re-ream the pinholes and use Imperial pins, The taper is close 1./48 vs 1/50 and I've never seen a taper pin fitted to stock length except in brand new equipment. Generally, you have to cut and fit each one to suit the re-reamed hole it's made for.

Yes they are NOT the same taper. An imperial is 1:48 so 1/4" per foot, a metric is 1:50 so the taper is 1mm each 50mm, or about 6.09mm per foot or .241 inches per foot. close but not the same.

I have a German machine I am working on , it has Metric taper pins , 10X50 mm pins. I can find metric pins at Granger and McMaster but I cannot determine the reamer . Are metric and standard taper pins the same degree of angle ? \

Metric pins are 1:50 .

I used to ream A LOT in printing machines and I found that taper reamers must be of good quality.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH !! helped me a lot . just had to stop the tec from reaming the holes with my #7 pin reamer . I was telling them it appeared the same but I was not 100% sure . not a big difference but I will let others make the call what they want to do . Thanks

Metric pins are 1:50 .

I used to ream A LOT in printing machines and I found that taper reamers must be of good quality.
That's funny , we manufacture containers from paper for fast food , our print presses used to all be USA machines , that's why I'm the only guy in the plant that even have taper pin reamers. LOL

Talking of taper pins - aren't they a horrendous price? ..especially the small sizes, ......what we used to buy by the gross - and latterly 100, are now sold singly.

You can buy 1:50 taper pins and reamers from ebay.de. Search for Kegelstifte and Kegelreibahle respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to do more than a couple of holes spend the extra to get the reverse spiral reamers - they eject the chips out the front of the hole and work a lot faster than straight flute reamers, faster enough that you have to take a little care in the work.

If you're going to do more than a couple of holes spend the extra to get the reverse spiral reamers - they eject the chips out the front of the hole and work a lot faster than straight flute reamers, faster enough that you have to take a little care in the work.

Yes that's true, but they also like to wander more than straight flutes, so they are not so suitable for careful hand reaming. Read dangerous.

Back