What's new
What's new

Machine Mist Venting and Air Drying

proturn

Stainless
Hello everyone, I have a Idea for venting my CNC lathe. I have a small shop and as many of you know, when you do heavy turning there is a lot of smoke/mist created. I'm thinking the following: I am not going to stick a whole lot of money into venting this building as it is small and I will outgrow it within 6months-year. That said I want to convert a range hood into a cheap way to get the smoke and mist outside the building. What are your thoughts? Is this dumb?
I am also trying to get dryer air. I put my air compresser into a sound insulated closet. It gets really hot in there but I have a oil cooled compressor so It should be safe and not burn-up. I have been running it this way for 3 years with no problems...Just a lot of water in the air. Do any of you have some creative suggestions to run my lines in a very cost effective manner to eliminate this issue? Thank you much.

Smog hogs work well but are expensive. you could make the same if you can do some welding much cheaper, a hood like you say with a collector which is kind of like a cat tractor dust collector that spins the air on intake and the mist that forms drops and collects at the bottom and fed back into the machine by a tube. you should be able to fab a unit up for cheap.

SMOG-HOG | Smog-Hog Parts, Smog-Hog Filters, Systems

as far as a cheapo air dryer about all you can do is add some drop lines with some of the little units that go on a semi trucks air lines that automatically fart out the water every once in a while. put some buckets under the fart valve.

I know this sounds ghetto but Im just offering cheap solutions that will keep you out of the poor house.

Thanks for the info. Would copper or black iron be better for running the a series of drops and hard air line. Would I mount this series of drops near the ceiling or floor?:willy_nilly:

Take a look at this .PDF from Tp Tools, a blasting equipment supplier. They have a page with how to lay out your air line to eliminate water problems.
http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf

Steve

Steve this is additional info for the original poster. I'm just supporting your post with the diagram. It's a good one. :)

Like they recommend two stage compressor. It is the hot setup. It pumps the 140# pressure to wring out the water for that pressure while you use it at ~80#. It comes out much drier for you then.

If you don't use much air you can put a smaller pulley on the motor and the compressor won't get as hot and last longer. Save the larger pulley for when you will need more air.

Regards,

Stan-

Back