What's new
What's new

TCMT 21.51 inserts, can anything outperform these?

SND

Diamond
I'm running low on my stock of Mitsubishi TCMT 21.51 US735 inserts, lost my local source a few years ago and now I need to know if there's any other brand/grade out there that might match/beat this insert in either performance or price? I do mostly 316SS, some hastelloy, some interrupted cuts and other fun stuff, this grade was doing quite well with it.

Thanks

Is there a reason why you would not pursue a TNMG of the same grade? Yes it means changing the toolholder but you should be able to get a TNMG holder cheap. I don't know if a 3 series size is too big?? You should be able to get a 32X holder cheap. I saw 3 series holders (clamp style) on ebay with shim for around $25.
Just a thought.

I use these mostly on a HLV-H copy, gotta stick to positive inserts. I've got some TNMG's on the other lathe though.
I haven't bought inserts on ebay in years, and although that's a decent deal "I no buy china location" Actually carbidedepot has them at an ok price but I haven't bought from them before, and if I can upgrade to something even a bit better I always like to give new inserts a try. I plan to check into what Kyocera may have as I've been fairly impressed with the 6515 CCMT's I got from maritool, unfortunately he doesn't appear to sell the other shapes and I don't know yet if anyone local even sells them.

Sounds like I might be the only guy left who uses TCMT's?
found some mit's 21.51 Us735 in canada but with shipping they'll come at around $13each, almost double what I was paying before and Kyocera doesn't have a SS grade in that shape unfortunately, can't seem to find one in sandvik's book either. :(

I have one boring bar that uses those, and already have a near-lifetime supply of inserts. (For a home shop, that's about 20, btw.)

There are a number of grades that are good for 316SS in the TCMT21.51, though I'd recommend going to a TCGT insert for it's sharper edge. OTOH, the TCMT and an appropriate chipbreaker might hold up better if it's cast or forged 316 and an interrupted cut.

Look for Walter WSM10 or WSM20, Iscar IC907 or IC908, Kennametal KC5010 or KC5025, and so on. There's a lot to choose from, but NONE of those will come as cheap as those Mitsubishi. Try ordering on a guaranteed test to see if they give longer life/higher productivity.

BTW, Sandvik Coromant will have the TCMT21.5x inserts in 1025 or (uncoated) 235 grades that work well, but they only have the them in the "UF" chipbreaker.

Carbide Depot is boring to deal with:
You order...They ship promptly.
No excitement, stress, etc.

I saw the Mit's on Carbide depot's website, price is great, except they don't appear to ship USPS? I don't have a UPS account, sorta tried to open one a few months ago and gave up, and with shipping + broker, it might not be so great unless I order a 100 or something. But I might look further into that option if nothing else comes up.

I do use some GT shapes as well, but just for finishing.

I use Mitsubishi for a lot of my inserts. The US735 grade has been around for some time and is a good workhorse. I have found Sumitomo AC520U grade inserts to be far superior in exotic stainless. Try them, you wont be sorry.

I believe that I am running that insert size ratt now?

I have Kenna and Widia inserts. I kant say how they compare to other brands/grades.

Are you able to git Mits inserts currently?
Mits carbide took a hard hit doo to the quake/tsu/power issue.

-------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It's been a few years since I bought the Mit's inserts when the dealer was closing down, I didn't find if anyone local still carries them, I asked around a bit but there's only a few local people I deal with anyhow, there's like 10 guys selling sandvik, used to see a bit of valenite, but a lot of names really.

I just sent the rest of my info to UPS, we'll see how that turns out and if its worth getting them from the US.
I also sent and email to Sumitomo to see where I can get them, never saw them anywhere here but I'd definitely like to find something even better than the US735, I have about a week of C-276 coming up soon and only a few inserts left for that holder :(

Back