What's new
What's new

Teaching a machining 101 class at makerspace- Need project ideas!

npolanosky

Cast Iron
Hi there!

I'm teaching a basic machining class at my local makerspace, FamiLAB in Longwood, FL. I've got most of it ready to go, focusing on shop safety followed by simple operations on the mill and lathe, with a bit of bandsawing and grinding thrown in to round it out. It's an 8hr hands-on class and I am trying to find a simple project that incorporates both milling and turning, and ideally leaves the students with something useful like some sort of tool.

We have a bridgeport-style knee mill, a 10x24" lathe, and a gaggle of mini mills and lathes of various makes- Taig, Grizzly, horrible freight, Prazi, etc (And a HAAS VF-1 VMC, but that doesn't count ;) ). The class will be 5-6 people per session, and since we have only one BP the project should be doable on smaller tools if possible.

I've got ideas for the individual machines, and I have ideas for more complex projects, but I am having a really hard time finding the perfect project to introduce a handful of people to the shop in one swoop. Any suggestions?

How about a center punch that has a square body like the Starrett #264. You only have 8 hours so it will have to be something simple. You could have half the class start out doing the mill work and the other half start with the lathe work

CNC Project: Mini Pool Table - CNCCookbook CNCCookbook

I'm pretty sure 8 hours with 5-6 students is not realistic (assuming hands-on for the students)... You might be able to finish one...

But - I think you could have the class complete one article together in class, then give them all materials to complete their own after class on their own time. That would actually give them a chance to use their newly learned skills.

Not trying to be negative, but it's just not enough time to have them do a project of their own and have the experience be really meaningful. I guess you could come up with a really simple project, I mean really simple, and teach JUST the skills needed to complete that project, along with the needed safety practices, but to what end? They really wouldn't actually be getting an "intro to machining", it'd be a bit of a joke!

I think your students would be much better served by you giving a short lecture followed by demonstrations of a good sampling of machining techniques. Being it's a small enough group, you could even let them take turns trying some of the techniques as you demonstrate them, or help in other ways, to make it a bit hands on.

I know this doesn't jive with today's instant gratification mindedness. Some of your students are gonna WANT a finished project to show their friends as they declare themselves a machinist because they "took a class". Others will complain it wasn't enough "hands on". I don't pay much attention to these kind of people, I only give a shit about people who actually want to learn something.

Not trying to be negative, but it's just not enough time to have them do a project of their own and have the experience be really meaningful. I guess you could come up with a really simple project, I mean really simple, and teach JUST the skills needed to complete that project, along with the needed safety practices, but to what end? They really wouldn't actually be getting an "intro to machining", it'd be a bit of a joke!

I think your students would be much better served by you giving a short lecture followed by demonstrations of a good sampling of machining techniques. Being it's a small enough group, you could even let them take turns trying some of the techniques as you demonstrate them, or help in other ways, to make it a bit hands on.

I know this doesn't jive with today's instant gratification mindedness. Some of your students are gonna WANT a finished project to show their friends as they declare themselves a machinist because they "took a class". Others will complain it wasn't enough "hands on". I don't pay much attention to these kind of people, I only give a shit about people who actually want to learn something.

I think I'm coming to that realization- When I first scheduled the class a month or so ago 8hrs sounded like plenty of time, but it's really very little since some of these people will be starting from zero. I think I may just do the demo's like you mentioned and let them do some milling and turning to get a feel for it but with no specific purpose.

Most of the class attendees are members of the space, so once they have the basics of operating the machines down they can experiment and take on larger projects on their own time- I can always schedule a meetup or workshop night so that interested parties can ask me questions and swap notes among themselves as they work on their projects. Sunday I'll just work on getting everyone familiar with how things should look and sound, how to not break the tools or their face/hands/eyes/etc, and some basic skills (Squaring up stock, shoulder milling, slotting, drilling, maybe tapping//OD Turning, Facing, drilling, parting, maybe boring) as well as shop etiquette.

I'm over there most days after work working on something, so I'll be able to supervise the n00bs and help them at other times as well.

First suggestion is the 'flip the classroom' approach. Either find a decent youtube example of the first class' topic, or produce your own video, and have them view that prior to the class session. That way you can spend time answering questions and demonstrating things rather than spewing forth basic content.

By far the most useful thing to teach in manual machining is how to tell when things are going correctly vs. when they're not. Like, what chips should look like, and sound like, coming off the workpiece. Basics like, if you're drilling and there are no chips/swarf, then all you're really doing is heating up the work and bit, and likely killing both. Slow down, push harder, etc. What chatter on the mill is, and how to smooth it out. What are the characteristics of a decent weld, in looks and penetration. It's not necessary to optimize this stuff for maximum production throughput, but rather for smooth cuts and decent tool life, and safety of all involved.

Project-wise, the go-to is usually little steam or air-drive engines, a pen, etc.

Chip

dull tools

they could make those in 8 hrs

Ha, that is very likely. I've hidden my good tools ;) Purchased a dun-give-a-shit set for the class to dull or otherwise ruin and will provide contact info for our local tooling supplier.

"Makerspace"
"FamiLAB"

Says it all.

-Marty-

Yeah yeah, get off my lawn, etc. Thanks for the reply :cool:
If you're in the area, stop by sometime. It's a pretty cool place full of smart people and some pretty awesome equipment.
I'll let you in on a not-so-secret; FamiLAB does not stand for Family Lab, but rather Four AM iLab since people are usually there til 4am (or later) building crazy stuff. Family friendly is absolutely not a requirement, and most of the time it's anything but! Lol

First suggestion is the 'flip the classroom' approach. Either find a decent youtube example of the first class' topic, or produce your own video, and have them view that prior to the class session. That way you can spend time answering questions and demonstrating things rather than spewing forth basic content.

By far the most useful thing to teach in manual machining is how to tell when things are going correctly vs. when they're not. Like, what chips should look like, and sound like, coming off the workpiece. Basics like, if you're drilling and there are no chips/swarf, then all you're really doing is heating up the work and bit, and likely killing both. Slow down, push harder, etc. What chatter on the mill is, and how to smooth it out. What are the characteristics of a decent weld, in looks and penetration. It's not necessary to optimize this stuff for maximum production throughput, but rather for smooth cuts and decent tool life, and safety of all involved.

Project-wise, the go-to is usually little steam or air-drive engines, a pen, etc.

Chip

Absolutely- I actually did send out an email with some links to some decent youtube videos and some reading material, so provided everyone takes a few minutes to watch them I can probably save an hour of talking.

Absolutely- I actually did send out an email with some links to some decent youtube videos and some reading material, so provided everyone takes a few minutes to watch them I can probably save an hour of talking.

Just thinking out loud here... You are dealing with Adults.. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing...
But at least they should be mature enough to take it seriously.

The youtube vids.. I like that.. On SAFETY I assume..

A bit of homework before the class starts.. Vids and appropriate links.. (even some vids and pics of accidents)
Then give them a QUIZ.. Tell them if they fail the quiz, they go home... A hollow threat to make sure
they actually do do their "homework".. 10 or 20 questions, 5 or so minute quiz.. Swap papers for grading..
Then discuss the answers.

You should be able to cruise through the initial safety part pretty quick...

A second thought... 8 hours straight is a lot.. For you and for them.. I'd probably want to break it
up into 2 or 3 shorter periods.. First off so that nobody gets bored or tired.. But also, your students
then get to go home and THINK about what they learned.. Formulate some good questions for the next period, and
you could also give them a 2nd and 3rd round of "homework"... This time dealing with actual machining principals
and techniques..

Third thought... On your first go around, might be worth keeping the already small class even smaller, and try to get
some experience in the class... Maybe 3 or 4 students, a machinist, a real teacher, and a couple green horns.. Then
get their feedback and adjust..

Whatever you do, however you do it.. Sounds like it should be a lot of fun.

if i was wanting to learn something i would want the whole 8 hours devoted. quick lunch of course.

i once took a sheet metal forming class. what information i got was good but most of the time was wasted with introductions, show and tell, breaks, long lunch, unnecessary discussions...

No matter what you have in mind, it won't survive contact with the students.

For the past couple of years, I've taught a class (4-6 students) in Finale music software at an annual gathering of barbershop singers. No matter what we say in advance, or how we try to prequalify the students, I get everything from experienced users needing help with specific issues, to people who can't read a note of music. :willy_nilly:

So, go in with a lesson plan, but be ready to jettison it!

Good luck, and thanks for taking the time to spread knowledge.

BobW- Thanks for the input!

There are definitely a handful of different ways to do this. I like the quiz idea, I may implement that- If not for this first round on Sunday, for subsequent classes. I'm running it 4 weekends in a row to get through most everyone, and then I'm going to try to keep it up monthly to give any new members a chance to get on board. Plenty of time to experiment a little and fine tune it.

I will have an assistant to help keep an eye on things who at least has a bit of experience. Unfortunately, I don't know of any "real" machinists off the top of my head, so I am on my own for now.

We are stopping halfway and eating some food, so that should break it up a bit.

No matter what you have in mind, it won't survive contact with the students.

For the past couple of years, I've taught a class (4-6 students) in Finale music software at an annual gathering of barbershop singers. No matter what we say in advance, or how we try to prequalify the students, I get everything from experienced users needing help with specific issues, to people who can't read a note of music. :willy_nilly:

So, go in with a lesson plan, but be ready to jettison it!

Good luck, and thanks for taking the time to spread knowledge.

Yep, I am prepared to improvise! We'll have a good time, folks will learn some stuff, and we'll do it all safely. Whether or not it goes exactly to plan is irrelevant, especially in this setting :)

Re: spreading knowledge, thank you as well :D

If it is an adult class, won't most of the attendees have some idea of what they want to use machining for?
I'd ask that question and spend about 15 minutes on it at the start/familiarization, then let it percolate in the back of my brain while doing the pre-planned intro lesson. Within the pre-planned lesson, I'd start to bend it to explain which/where/why this will impact on Suzie's or Bob's goals. You need to suck them into getting fascinated with why they need to pay attention to the intro. Suzie will also start to think of better ways something might work for Bob's project & maybe blurt it out. right or wrong, that will engage the rest of the class and they will start to buy into poor Bob's project and focus on advancing it. ETC.

I think rather than coming up with a pre-project that only one or 2 might actually want to do, it could evolve better if those with no ideas or rather nebulous ideas, start to focus on one real live person's actual ideas.

If the class were longer (several days over several weeks), then individual projects would be better.

smt

Hammers.

To make one you've-

-Turned/knurled and OD
-Rounded an a shaft to a gage
-Tapped a thru hole in the head and blind holes in the faces
-cut a bevel
-cut a shoulder (where faces meet head)
-single pointed a screw thread
- then of course give them some dims/tols to hold

If that's not a good intro to manual lathe work, I'm not sure what is.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

For a mill I'd have them make a level. Unfortunately i don't jave any pics of mine.

-Saw some AL bar to length
-Face ends and profile to look like a heavy I section
-place slots for aesthetics to show pocketing/slotting
-hole in center bored to some size (viewing window for level vial)
-drill/tap/ream (2) holes for level vials to be retained by threaded plugs
-maybe have them cut a small scale along it's axis to show how the dials work

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back