What's new
What's new

Techniques to break up stringy chips? 17-4 SS

Kbdutson

Plastic
Hey all, thanks for checking out the thread. I am having issues with stringy chips on ID boring/threading. Just want some other ideas from folks. Thought it would be a good discussion.

So, I am turning .875 dia. 17-4 ss on a 10hp 4 axis cnc lathe. On main side i have a 1.5 inch tapered bore. I have midigate the chip problem on that side by boring with live milling using ball EM and .030 R EM. But on sub side there is .625 deep thread with .080 relief on bottom. I am constantly needing to pull chips here. Any ideas on hot to fix this? The tolerances are all+/- .005 so it holds well. It would be nice to be able to leave the machine for more than a cycle. Free me up to attend other things. Also, I am using water dissolvable coolant and no high pressure. I rough out bore with standard bar with w style carb. insert and finish and debur thread with groover boring bar.

Thanks

Some things won't break no matter what you do. Had some shafting I was making into just crude guiderail couplings (two ended cylinder with a flange left in the center the same OD as the pipe, two ends tap fit in the pipe ID with a hammer). Had several dozen pieces of scrap stainless shafting cut to length and had the lathe set up with pre-set QC holders so it was just blow and go. Had the speed and feed set so it was just making machine gun chips, beautiful. Suddenly hit another piece of scrap and it made a snarl. Never COULD get it to break, no matter what the feed, speed, cutter geometry... nothing worked. Soon as it was swapped out for the other stuff, back to machine gun chips.

Hey all, thanks for checking out the thread. I am having issues with stringy chips on ID boring/threading. Just want some other ideas from folks. Thought it would be a good discussion.

So, I am turning .875 dia. 17-4 ss on a 10hp 4 axis cnc lathe. On main side i have a 1.5 inch tapered bore. I have midigate the chip problem on that side by boring with live milling using ball EM and .030 R EM. But on sub side there is .625 deep thread with .080 relief on bottom. I am constantly needing to pull chips here. Any ideas on hot to fix this? The tolerances are all+/- .005 so it holds well. It would be nice to be able to leave the machine for more than a cycle. Free me up to attend other things. Also, I am using water dissolvable coolant and no high pressure. I rough out bore with standard bar with w style carb. insert and finish and debur thread with groover boring bar.

Thanks

Use the same logic as the Tapered bore-threadmill.

Back