What's new
What's new

Thank you for fixing the View First Unread

jbexplorer

Aluminum
Thanks Don ( or IT ) for fixing the button: View First Unread. With the new colors it was hard to scroll down and see the newest thread. Now it works just like it did. Now if we could only fix the time problem all would be good.

JB
:cheers:

Got it back now. Must be a transparent proxy upstream of me that I hadn't noticed. The joys of caching:(

Ta Nicely Don and team, it was facility that was much missed when it wasn't working:cheers:

Excuse the hillbilly ignorance, but how does the forum know which thread is the "first unread"?

For example, if I click on this thread today, and read only half the posts, how will the forum know where I stopped.

Now, I can kinda understand if I click on a new thread, for the next visit, the forum would jump to the first new thread posted after I click out of the thread. Is this how "View First Unread" works??

Whatever is new since your last "cookies" update.

It doesn't really know if you "read" the posts or not.

Where you been the last ten yrs? :dopeslap:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Front Page?

Was the price for the "first Unread" feature pd for by the reduction of half of the list on the front page for some reason?

There was the last 20 thread topped there before, now only ten.

???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Time stamps

Excuse the hillbilly ignorance, but how does the forum know which thread is the "first unread"?
When you access a thread, the bbs software makes an entry in the database under your ID with the thread ID and time.

When you ask for "first unread", the s/w consults the database and identifies the first post in that thread with a timestamp later than that.

This is the same function that powers the "New Posts" link at the top of every page. But the implementation differs slightly, and apparently was broken for individual threads.

- Leigh

Back