What's new
What's new

Is there really no free-machining + weldable steel?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

OK, I know the standard answers on machinability and weldability, but I still have to wonder if there is not innovation happening in this space, to yield a steel that has free-machining, or at least cheap-machining, and good weldability. Specifically on the machinability, surface finish quality.

1018 -- very weldable, but gooey and harder to make good surface-finish parts
1045 -- better machinability than 1018, but less weldable?
12L14 -- not weldable
1144SP -- not weldable

What else?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

What kind of machining are we talking about here? Strictly manual turning? Although 1018 isn't 1215 or 12L14 as far as machinability goes I have had very little problems with surface finish in both turning and machining centers. Does the surface finish NEED to be excellent in a weldment? In my experience most parts in a weldment get additional finishes such as paint or powdercoating, where obviously the surface finish is going to get covered up either way. What is the ulterior motive here and why?

I still have to wonder if there is not innovation happening in this space, to yield a steel that has free-machining, or at least cheap-machining, and good weldability. Specifically on the machinability, surface finish quality.

CNC, carbide cutting tools, and high temperature coatings have more or less eliminated the market for such a material. Great surfaces in 1018 are now achievable by simply cranking up the SFM. Mirror finishes can be achieved on 1018 turnings using cermet inserts at 1000-2000 SFM.

I don't know what the op is doing, but IME the OD work is easy. Its drilling where a weldable free machining steel would be most beneficial.

Reading the title, was just thinking "There always has been! 1018/1020/A36!" Get the SFM up to the stratosphere and it looks just as good and machines just as well (but way faster) as the "easy to finish" steels. If your machine doesn't get up to high RPM or the diameters you're working with are tiny then I can see the issue but there are always ways to get around those issues.

AFAIK, the main problem is the additives that promote free machining, tend to put the kibosh on welding.

FWIW While ledloy etc etc, welds like shite, .it bronze welds, brazes and silver solders a treat, ......sometimes a change in process down the line can be beneficial to all concerned.

P.S. IME EN 8 - (1040) welds nicely - albeit with just a little attention to detail.

“Not weldable” might be a little extreme, I’ve TIG welded free machining steels over the years knowing it wasn’t the best choice but for a quick tool solution around the shop it was always good enough. As the previous post said: bronze weld is a great choice.

John Bradley ( ref The Racing Motorcycle, A Technical Guide for Constructors) suggests EN 14 A / SAE 1524 / 150 M 19 as a machinable steel that is also good for welded fittings. He also agrees with Limey that EN 8 / SAE 1040 / 080 M 40 welds OK but cautions that care is needed to avoid reducing toughness, important as its not an exceptionally tough steel to begin with. Ruling section for any given tensile range of EN 14 A is bigger than for EN 8 which is nice. Seems to be harder to find tho' which is a pity as general properties are very similar.

Clive.

CNC, carbide cutting tools, and high temperature coatings have more or less eliminated the market for such a material. Great surfaces in 1018 are now achievable by simply cranking up the SFM. Mirror finishes can be achieved on 1018 turnings using cermet inserts at 1000-2000 SFM.
with carbide and 1018 sometimes at above transition point of around 550 sfpm the surface gets shinier and mirror like but if material forming bue or built up edge and breaking off you can get a shiny to dull to shiny thing going especially if dry and sometimes even with coolant. i have had inserts cut mirror like for less than 5 minutes. since i want surface flat and dont care about mirror like surface i usually slow sfpm down below transition point and get a dull but flatter final surface
2nd picture showing the shiny to dull to shiny thats ductile iron but 1018 steel will do similar thing. salesman shows up says crank up the sfpm and yes it is shiny a whole 2 to 3 minutes and good way to sell inserts cause often you want to just change inserts even if less than 10 minutes used on them. or you just make final cuts below the transition point (usually <550 sfpm) and get a more even dull surface
sometimes inserts just dont want to cut shiny a whole 60 minutes and make less than .0003" TIR wavy surface..... got to ask you really need a mirror finish or a flat low wavy surface what is priority ?

Attachments

• ShinyMilling.JPG
    ShinyMilling.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ShinyUnstable.JPG
    ShinyUnstable.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 178

Back