What's new
What's new

Are these bevel gears worn too badly to re-use?

cdnInventor

Plastic
For 25 years I have used the same 3:1 bevel gears and a stainless-steel flexible shaft to turn the propeller on my human-powered catamaran. Yesterday I replaced the flexible shaft assembly but today the gears became noisy, started to bind, and then seized up completely. Are these gears too worn to re-use? Could they be causing the binding? The crown gear looks o.k. to me but the pinion has a lot of wear.

Please look at the attached pictures and give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• crown1.jpg
    crown1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 499
  • pinion4.jpg
    pinion4.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 403
  • pinion3.jpg
    pinion3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 356
  • pinion2.jpg
    pinion2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 347
  • pinion1.jpg
    pinion1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
I'd say that pinion is toast, although nothing would stop you from using it in an emergency. It also looks like the other gear (call it "face") was set on its shaft too far toward the pinion; there are pretty clear signs that the tips of the face gear teeth were grinding into the body of the pinion. In fact, if the noise and jamming started abruptly, I'd suspect the face gear shifted position (loose setscrew, perhaps) or whatever it's ultimately mounted to shifted toward the pinion centerline.

Thanks Larry. That's a great price at Amazon. I just checked the gears. They are actually 4:1 Browning YSB10B60-40 and 15-40.

Thanks, I'll get a file tomorrow and try that. I cleaned the lubricant off for the photos. I wish I knew how to post the bigger sized photos that people are using here.

Thanks sfriedberg. Right now I can't use the drive at all, the binding makes it too hard to pedal. It's weird because before I changed the flex drive it worked fine. There is a factory-made 1/2" stainless-steel solid shaft fastened to one end of the flex cable. It extends through a bronze bushing, then the pinion gear is attached to it (to meet the crown gear that is mounted on the pedal axle). The old stainless solid shaft was 5/8" OD but the factory made the new one 1/2" OD by mistake so we simply bushed down the old 5/8" ID bushing to 1/2". Maybe the 1/2" bushing isn't strong enough to prevent all deflection. I can't see any, but I'm not sure. Could the gear wear alone cause enough binding to completely seize up the gears?

I vote for replacement. These wheels are beyond form tolerance. The rolling action of one tooth over the other isn’t there anymore.

Changing the gears without first finding the source of the trouble will only lead to wasted money & frustration. They might need to be replaced eventually, but the changes you made are causing the problem somehow. You Def want to figure that out first.

Gears don't seize up, but you can jam two tapered gears together far enough that they'll be in a negative backlash state, I guess you might call that seized, but I wouldn't. Seized is something that has welded itself together and become inseperable.

Bevel gears are real intolerant of setting errors, takes very little error to make em wear fast or jam up.

I think adama is probably spot-on. Are you sure somebody didn't try to compensate for wear by seating the gears a bit closer? (it doesn't work, and often causes a problem similar to what you described). As far as usable goes, those gears might have a lot of life left for a human powered device.

Seen similar before. Well worn bevels apparently still working satisfactorily when in place but impossible to get going again when re-assembling after inspection. Logically it ought to be possible to get them back exactly where they came form but in practice nope.

Clive

Thanks muckalee. During the recent changes, 2 set screws were added to hold the pinion gear in place (previously a spring pin held the pinion in place, so we tapped the old holes). Upon a complete disassembly, it was obvious from the scoring on the axle that the set screws had let go.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. Your comments have been very helpful. This forum is fabulous.

Back