What's new
What's new

thinking about doing a run of wall charts..consensus needed

vanguard machine

Stainless
hey gang,
the thread a few weeks back about wall charts got me thinking.
i'm thinking about doing a small run of good looking, tough and easy to read wall charts here.
the 2 SPI ones i have in the shop are easy to read, something like 18" x 21" or so, tough and work fine for drill sizes, decimal conversion, etc.
the standard tool distributor free ones are easy to find so i was thinking outside the box a little with things like liquid conversions, calculator shortcuts, maybe metric-standard conversions, hardness, alloy content, etc.

so, what would be some things that aren't typically found on your charts that you guys would like to see on a large vinyl wall chart?

if we can get a consensus going i would work up the art and get these going this week.

basically just trying to gauge interest and whatnot first before burning up the art/plotter time and vinyl stock.

Maybe like a general SFM and chip load chart for simple tools like emills and drills, so new guys don't ask me every time they run a tool...

Chip thinning chart and Rockwell C to Brinell.

SFM and chip load chart for simple tools like emills and drills, so new guys don't ask me every time they run a tool...

Be thankful they are asking for Surface Speed and chip load... I had some 30 year "experienced" machinists ask for RPM and IPM... Or even
worse... "I'll know it when I see it" *ducking* as an endmill is impaled in a cinder block wall... or a 5 minute job takes all day..

A standard counterbore chart would be awesome. Metric and standard sizes.

I vote for the cosine error and grinding wheel charts. That was a good suggestion. Especially a wheel chart where you can refrence hardness of material, alloy type and have an idea of expected surface finish.

I've made my own go-to posters, with and without forming tap specs.
They're a multi-column list of inch, mm, number-letter-fractional and tap size.
I like having everything listed in one size sorting rather than separate
boxes for this and that.

There is a lot of information that goes with forming taps and I think
that it's potentially confusing for folks who only use cut taps to have
it there. You might consider offering two versions.

I posted the cut tap version on a thread here many moons ago but
the link is broken as my web site went kerfluey. I'll work on bringing
it back up and post my new form tap chart as well.

as for the grinding wheel chart, i was thinking the same thing. maybe a few different versions, ie, one for grinding room, one for sawing room, etc.
keep the suggestions coming guys!

How about something for a bit of a laugh as well...:)
11qnt35.jpg

Cosine error chart
Drill chart for form taps
Drill and chamfer specs for sti threads
True position chart
Grinding wheel chart

Please clarify what you would like to see on a "True position chart".

Y14.5 is on the order of 150 pages of 8.5x11 and a whole lot of people use it poorly.
I can't imagine how a wall chart would improve understanding but maybe . . . .

A quick SMF/RPM table, by diameter would be a great wall reference for any one programming CNC's, or "adjusting speed" on a Bridgeport, or whatever...

Please clarify what you would like to see on a "True position chart".

Y14.5 is on the order of 150 pages of 8.5x11 and a whole lot of people use it poorly.
I can't imagine how a wall chart would improve understanding but maybe . . . .

I dont know if i can explain it well but ill try...
We have a chart on 8x11" paper that basically has an x and a y column and from .0001 up on each column. Inside the chart it gives you the TP result of whatever your x and y error is. Probably piss poor wording but ill try to remember to post a pic monday.

Alloutmx, it's called a true position chart, and your terminology is absolutely correct. I think we got ours from Moore with a jig grinder about 30 years ago. As far as charts - maybe collect the phone numbers, addresses, distance to, and operating hours of local restaurants. I know my drill sizes for tapping holes, and fractional or metric conversions off the top of my head. I'll be damned if I can remember what time Arby's opens.

Last edited:
I dont know if i can explain it well but ill try...
We have a chart on 8x11" paper that basically has an x and a y column and from .0001 up on each column. Inside the chart it gives you the TP result of whatever your x and y error is. Probably piss poor wording but ill try to remember to post a pic monday.

Thank you. I understand. There is software (TRIG-MAN for one) that does that. Here's a chart (18" x 24") for a mere $40; GD&T True Position Coordinate Conversion Chart LAMINATED, Engineering Supplies & Book Store

my sign guy is coming by today to show me vinyl options and help me with the plotter, which is a big mystery to me at this point. i will report back with the feasibility of this project but it's looking do able for sure.

Kinds of drill bits and their uses.

Kinds of screws and their uses.

I have been thinking about doing something similar to this for advertising. I have a bunch of semi-organized material.

I would be willing to help with the cost if the charts related to what we sell and had our name included on them.

Tom

Tom, right on.. i was thinking along those lines already as well. as this is digital printing and not offset printing i could easily include a shop logo or small advert on the chart somewhere.
my sign guy never showed yesterday but said he's coming today so i should have more info later.

Back