Thoughts on the new mill purchase.

PT Doc

Cast Iron
Under consideration are
Wells Index 847. 9x46
Acra AM2 9x49
Kent KTM 3VS 9x49
Bridgeport Series 1 9x42 H&W only have 42” currently

All are 3hp and #30 spindle except Bridgeport that 1.5 hp and is R8. All these machines seem to have very good reputations and seem to be well supported.

Wells Index :founded in 1938
Acra: 25 year history
Kent USA:founded 1979
Bridgeport: founded 1938

The Wells Index would be a rebuilt unit and would be about 80% more expensive but it USA made. This is not an inconsequential dollar amount. Bridgeport also rebuilt and a bit more that Acra and Kent that would both be new machines.

I’ve read past posts that I could dig up on these industrial grade machines.

What would you buy based on what you know and what you would want? Thanks in advance.

Under consideration are
Wells Index 847. 9x46
Acra AM2 9x49
Kent KTM 3VS 9x49
Bridgeport Series 1 9x42 H&W only have 42” currently

All are 3hp and #30 spindle except Bridgeport that 1.5 hp and is R8. All these machines seem to have very good reputations and seem to be well supported.

Wells Index :founded in 1938
Kent USA:founded 1979
Bridgeport: founded 1938

The Wells Index would be a rebuilt unit and would be about 80% more expensive but it USA made. This is not an inconsequential dollar amount. Bridgeport also rebuilt and a bit more that Acra and Kent that would both be new machines.

What would you buy based on what you know and what you would want? Thanks in advance.

Was the Wells Index rebuilt BY Wells? Or by a third party?

- I'd rule out the BirdPort on no other measure but the limitations of R8 vs 30-taper
That it is a rebuild and still looking for more spend than a NEW Acra? Not sure if it is as good-brand-new. Certainly not as a rebuild.

- I'd prefer the Wells IF I could still afford it reground BY Wells to 40-taper

30 taper is a few bucks less than 40 taper new. Maybe. Also far less common. 40-taper is soooo ubiquitous I'd have more choices and expect to net lower tooling cost over long years. In fact - I do have.

- As-is, no such mod, 80% $$$ edge over the Wells? The NEW Acra is the winner on spend.

Don' know nuthin' about the Kent. NEW it could be the better deal than the NEW Acra. Or not. Sure looks as if the majority of each came out of the same factory as the other, though.

You can't go wrong with the Wells or Bridgeport if properly rebuilt. With basic care they will be family heirlooms to your great grandchild.

I'm not sure what you can do with 3hp v belt drive, I have done some serious chip manufacturing with 1.5hp.

Kent USA:founded 1979"

they are importers of generic Taiwanese and/or chinese machinery . same basic machines as
kingston,acra, whatever. some of the more pricey ones are assembled with more detail and finish(sharp,alliant,webb )

Have you considered a Webb? I bought a new one several years ago and it is a very good machine. Three HP with a VFD, 3 axis DRO added with power feeds.

You must not have searched in the BP section. If so, you would have found that parts are not always available for many of the import machines. Of the imports that I've purchased for places and used, IMO, the best was Sharp.

The motor HP rating is misleading for many of the imports. The number they give is peak, for so many minutes, not continuous.

You also don't say what your mill is going to be used for. I'm assuming a hobby shop enviroment. If so, get a BP. Parts a available and every attachment known to man will fit.
JR

There is a QC 30 Bridgeport spindle listed in the for sale section that will give you a 30 taper with no draw bar.

If you are talking new money a prototrak 2 axis machine is the same cost as a productively optioned manual machine and you can get a lot more done with it.

You must not have searched in the BP section. If so, you would have found that parts are not always available for many of the import machines. Of the imports that I've purchased for places and used, IMO, the best was Sharp.

The motor HP rating is misleading for many of the imports. The number they give is peak, for so many minutes, not continuous.

You also don't say what your mill is going to be used for. I'm assuming a hobby shop enviroment. If so, get a BP. Parts a available and every attachment known to man will fit.
JR

I looked at the Sharp offerings. As expected they have a comparable offering. This has an inverter for variable speed control. Sharp would be R8.

SHARP LMV-49-DVS 9" x 49" DVS MILL

Acra has a comparable machine. Also with inverter.

ACRA MACHINERY

The Acra is $1500cheaper as best as I can tell with online pricing.

What are your thoughts on inverter speed control vs manual changing like Bridgeport or Wells Index has? Likely to be quieter? More or less reliable?

Thanks

I see a lot of nice used ones come up and there in the $1000 to $3000 range ,,, I picked up a Sharp a few years back and its just as nice as my close to new bridgeport that I payed 4 times more for,,, sharp had a falling out with First the company that made there mills and I have a feeling there still being made but sold under a new name ,,,, I think a lot of the shops just use bridgeport type machines for tooling or proto parts so there not getting a lot of hours on them and good deals are easy to find ,,, in the last year I have past up 5 or 6 for under a grand that were still nice machines

What are your thoughts on inverter speed control vs manual changing like Bridgeport or Wells Index has?

I can't make a statement on that because I don't know what you're going to be using the machine for. I use a VFD to get 3ph only and change speed with the vari-drive on the BP. You have less low end torque with an invertor drive. Like I said, don't know what you are using for.
JR

Lagun

Very happy with my FTV-1, NMTB-40 taper. I'm just not sure if they're still made in Spain, mine was.

Lagun

Very happy with my FTV-1, NMTB-40 taper. I'm just not sure if they're still made in Spain, mine was.

Same here. I love my Lagun FTV-1. Made in Spain. Not so cheap but I haven't called them here in California and asked for a price on a new one any time recently.

WELLS-INDEX!! 100% USA BUILT!
We purchased one from the company back in 2014. Rick Robinson's customer service at Wells Index was simply amazing. Handled major machine spec modifications like I was ordering a Whopper from Burger King. ("have it your way)" Single Phase motor, shorter table, etc. We took a tour of the factory in Michigan. Wells-Index maintains massive part inventory for every machine that was ever built. Whatever your need is, Rick and Wells-Index can build it for you. New, rebuilt, modified, repairs, etc.

Buddy just bought a brand new Webb champ , he was pricing a JET from their higher tiered line.
He said the Webb was cheaper and way more stout. They’ve been in business for well over 20!years and offer parts support .

Back