What's new
What's new

Rockwell 11" lathe headstock teardown - how far should I go?

Dan_the_Chemist

Aluminum
A few months ago my Rockwell 11" lathe started to develop some rumbling as it ran. I tried changing the pretension on the spindle, and that didn't seem to help. A few days ago it decided to stop turning altogether. The spindle turns nicely in unlocked mode. The problem seems to be in the variable speed system, and I suspect it has gotten some corrosion in my damp shop. I have torn it down to the point that I have all the variable speed parts out of the cabinet and the headstock off of the lathe. I did that so that I can replace all of the belts.

However - I am wondering if I should do the deep dive and take it ALL apart so that I can check the grease on the bearings. I grease it every now and then, but I got it 20+ years ago and I'm not sure if it had grease which is incompatible with what I'm using now. I have read many a tale of people tearing it down and finding hard lumps where the old grease had reacted badly with the new grease.

I have followed this manual http://www.mwdropbox.com/Dropbox/_2001_retired_files/rockwellarmy11.pdf starting on Page 26, and have gotten to the end of Page 28.

From what I can see, the bearings seem like they are not filled with cruddy lumps. But is the lack of large lumps an adequate standard? What should I look for? Or should I say 'to heck with a test' and just clean them anyway? Amd advice on that?

Are there any of the parts, gears, brackets that I should inspect particularly closely since they are known to have a high rate of ooops?

So, whats the best way to proceed from here ?

Pics if requested...

Back