What's new
What's new

Today is lathe safety day in the shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it.

To do endless runs set up a good rubber tire pinch roller similarly
perhaps even put a tire in the lathe spindle and a tire just below / in front of it it on the carriage and forget the need for feeding the carriage. if your lathe will go slow enough for the tire size...

Simply take it to the scrap yard whole.

How much price difference from cleaned wire ?

Unless your just a "Harry Homeshop Hobbyist"....:toetap:

I can't tell from the video, is the wire wrapping up around the pipe with the insulation? If that's the case, removing the copper wire from the pipe/insulation mess appears to be a time consuming endeavor.

I have to wonder if you could have it separate, too. Strip about 3', then pull the wire out and just wind the insulation around the pipe. I would think the wire, being reasonably straight, would easily separate from the insulation, and would shoot in a reasonably straight direction out the back. Then, you're left with just a pipe load of insulation to toss (without even removing from the pipe), and just hand coil the wire in a large loop.

Either flip your cutter to the bottom, or reverse your lathe, so that the cut is on the outside of the 'spool.'

Simply take it to the scrap yard whole.

How much price difference from cleaned wire ?

Unless your just a "Harry Homeshop Hobbyist"....:toetap:

I have about 1500 pounds of un-stripped wire I am dumping at the scrapper for about .30/lb

Bright copper brings in about $2.80/lb. I normally dont mess with it but $1500 for about 6 hours of work is worth it.

I can't tell from the video, is the wire wrapping up around the pipe with the insulation? If that's the case, removing the copper wire from the pipe/insulation mess appears to be a time consuming endeavor.

I have to wonder if you could have it separate, too. Strip about 3', then pull the wire out and just wind the insulation around the pipe. I would think the wire, being reasonably straight, would easily separate from the insulation, and would shoot in a reasonably straight direction out the back. Then, you're left with just a pipe load of insulation to toss (without even removing from the pipe), and just hand coil the wire in a large loop.

Either flip your cutter to the bottom, or reverse your lathe, so that the cut is on the outside of the 'spool.'

Once the insulation is split and wound up on the pipe I just reverse the lathe and peel the insulation off as it unwinds. This method worked the best out of everything I tried. I takes about 4 min to do a 75' length wire.

That's a pretty slick setup. Thanks for taking the time to post. The last time I stripped a bunch of 4ga stranded, I made a huge mess and invented a few new cuss-words.

a114c72a932edb6eed0a857a1ed75b27.jpg

Here is the payout for the wire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh come on, what machine shop doesn't have a quarter ton of copper wire left over from connecting their lathes? :rolleyes5:

And where is the electrical contractor that gives away their excess wire instead of saving it for the next job. When I was an apprentice the contractor owned all scrap, taking any was a firing offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back