What's new
What's new

Thomson Mill-Drill 100 T/C help needed

Steve Moerke

Plastic
I am looking to find the manual for a Thomson Mill-Drill 100 T/C. Can someone tell me where to find it as I have looked everywhere on the internet. We recently pushed the table to far back and it bent the power cord and shorted it out against the drilling machine. Since I do not have the manual I do not know how to release the solenoid brake manually (can it be done?) and the table is frozen. The power cable is badly bent and the wires are exposed against the metal drill so we cant turn the Thomson 100 on to get the table to move without shorting it out and kicking the breaker. That already happened and I dont know if we have already damaged the table or not? Can someone help with this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

There might be one or 2 people on the board that admit to having a Thompson table. Brian @ Versamill is one of them.

IIRC, the switch activates the solenoid which releases the brake. You need to take the table apart and replace the cord.
JR

The solenoind actives a toggle, to set the brake/clamp. One on each side, under the table, slightly inboard.

The toggles are spring loaded, and not that strong (counts on the toggle effect to magnify the force at the clamp) It's like airbrakes: spring pressure does all the work and the default position is "clamped". The solenoid only overcomes moderate spring pressure to retract them.

Point being, reach under there and press on the end of the solenoid plunger. It will push back with moderate hand pressure. Now figure out a way to hold it there while you move the table.

While you are fixing things, you might want to adjust the other side of the clamp. Or not.
The apparatus is like a single sided disc brake (with the Thomson shaft as the disc). With a lot of use, the back, fixed shoe may need to take up some wear so the brake is not fighting the system alignment by pushing the rod off center toward the back shoe. there are plastic port covers in front of the shoes on the outside back of the machine. There is an allen head adjuster under it. I have never adjusted mine, so you are on your own there. Just mentioning that it is an area that can be worth checking.

smt

bent the power cord and shorted it out against the drilling machine.

The power cable is badly bent and the wires are exposed against the metal drill so we cant turn the Thomson 100 on to get the table to move without shorting it out and kicking the breaker.

Hem's sake. Cord is shot. Cut it off, close as you can, above and below.

Now strip what's left of the wires, and make a safe connection to a TEMPORARY power cord.

You may still need to do a manual release, per ST's advice, but you should then be able to run "normally" so as to get space enough to install a new permanent cord.

The "short" is only a problem if you do NOT fix it, and fix it you must do, regardless.

The short has burned the whole cord off the machine there is no spot to re-connect a new cord. I would like the manual so I can see how the table is built, how to take it apart, see how to wire it, and then put it back together.

Please someone scan in the manual.

Thanks,

Steve

The short has burned the whole cord off the machine there is no spot to re-connect a new cord.
Surely there is. It's inside the motor - or whatever.

Ga-ron-tee it wasn't grown in the egg, like a lizard's tail.

Somebody had to attach the original. The machine itself is a 3-D example of how it was and needs to be again. Follow that example.

Get your tools out and have at it. You cudda had this thing apart, repaired, back together, and operational again in the time that has passed whilst WAITING for a "manual".

Im not asking or looking for opinions on how I should be spending my time, im just asking for someone to get me a copy of the manual.

Thank you.

Im not asking or looking for opinions on how I should be spending my time, im just asking for someone to get me a ^^^ free ^^^ copy of the manual ^^^ with zero effort on my part.

Thank you.

Perhaps that modification is unjust, but surely seems appropriate by now, as Google - perhaps not "all over the internet", but near-as-dammit - sez, and on the simplest of searches - that you might want to try these folks:

http://industrialmanuals.com/thomson-mill-drilll-table-operations-service-parts-manual-p-4731.php

Dead-tree version, .pdf version. Or both.

Stephen's free advice will probably prove more useful.

I'm easy. LEAVE the power cord off, and it will never trouble you again.

:D

Im not asking or looking for opinions on how I should be spending my time, im just asking for someone to get me a copy of the manual.

Hmmm.... and you have contributed what around here?

I gave you perfectly useful information, and the tables very simple.

Maybe someone else will appreicate your attitude & make the effort. For some reason I feel barely compelled to spend the time to dig up these cuts which i've posted before.

smt_thomsontable3.jpg

If you have a means to blow it up, everything useful is in this picture.

Pretty much everything else in their literature is on how to use the table for better production. e.g.:

smt_thomsontable4.jpg

This link Bill included may have all you need:

T-312%20Thomson%20100%20TC%20Mill%20Drill%20Table%20Service%20Operations%20Parts%20Manual%20%20%20_3.jpg

smt

Thank you.

Maybe you would do better over at:
1. WeldingWeb.com
2. Homeshopmachinst.com
3. Somewhere else, that put's up with your 'tude.

I have a manual and have scanned it to a pdf but what have you contributed to this group? We assist each other here. It is a two way process. Folks here are very sharing with others who have something to share. Coming on virtually demanding something will not win folks over. Just disassemble it and replace he cord.

Back