What's new
What's new

tool box ID

D. Rey

Titanium
toolbox.jpg

Got this from my dad recently, was my grand fathers in the 40's and 50's he was a machinist for Union Pacific in Sacramento for something like 30 yrs. No tools (my aunt sold them at a garage sale after he died and used the box for a jewlery case....I know don't even say it)

It's in great shape the only markings are on the lock, Yale. No other writing.

Anyone know anything about it?

I vote for "shop made". Really nice job, too.

Show us a photo of the inside of the lock. I. for one. would like to see how he adapted a Yale screw-in mortise lock cylinder to lock the chest.

It'd be interesting to see how the drop panel locks, too.

John Ruth

Yea it may be home brewed, if so a hell of a lot better than I could ever do.

faceretentionholes.jpg

Looks like sone hardware is missing, maybe some pins went through here to secure the front panel? The front panel fits like a glove anyway. There are corresponding holes on the lid, duplicate holes are on the right side.

lock.jpg

yale lock, key is long gone, bummer.

BDretention.jpg

the front cover is retained by brass pins that ride in grooves at the bottom.

lockreciever.jpg

lock reciever

The inside felt was replaced with grey crap from some craft store several years ago, not my doing.

Where do you find proper greeen felt for these things? Needs a mirror too.

He may have locked the drop front by dropping two appropriately sized nails in the holes and manually extracting them when access desired. Definitely selfmade. Late forties to fifties plywood.

You can get the felt at Woodworkers Supply or any better woodworking/cabinate supply outlet.

Beautiful link with your past.

Rick

It looks like the hole thru the top is larger than the one in the front panel. I suspect he used a stepped rod with a small spring to lift the rods when the lid came up. I made a drafting tool box with a mechanism like that a number of years ago. The rods just sat on the springs. Closing the lid forced them down into the holes in the front panel. Only problem is that they get lost if the box is turned over.

Stu Miller

In the days of steam railroading the larger rail line were self-contained having among other resources jointer shops to serve the fine wood detailing in passenger coaches. In spare time they made office furniture and possibly they made chests for presentation to their trades apprentices on graduation.

I don't think such is the case here: too many raw plywood edges. A good jointer shop is compulsive about binding edge grain and concealing anything ugly.

Nervis, the yale lock barrel is held by two bolts from the inside, so it should be easy to replace, or if you have a decent locksmith near you, he may be able to make a key for it.
frank

I agree that a decent locksmith can make a key for it. Depending on if it is a current blank, it may not cost much at all. I have had several keys made for cast iron fifth wheel pinlocks that I came across. Nothing that heavy duty is made nowadays so I wanted to be able to use them.
David from jax

How cool is that Dave,
That it was hand made by your grand father is priceless and I am not talking dollars here.

Ken

Back