What's new
What's new

Is Tool Making Your Passion - How to make yourself stand apart by Don Bailey

So Don who appointed you "Americas Toolmaker"?

Who appointed you arbiter of toolmakers? The guy is making an effort to teach. Granted "by Don Bailey" might be in poor form,none the less, he took the time to share his thoughts. He showed his, now show yours.

JR

Whats wrong with him sharing his wealth of knowledge? We are a dying breed. This man has obviously spent, at least, if not ALL, of his adult years perfecting his ablilties in our trade. Any "old timer" that wants to see the tradition continue and will take the time to teach it, should be listened to with great regard to his knowledge. Unless you just like learning everything the HARD way. Many of us already know a lot of the information he is giving out. That doesn't mean that there is not a young guy out there soaking up everything Don says like a sponge.

Don, I have not watched many of your videos although what I have seen seemed to contain quality info. I do however appreciate you taking the time to pass on your knowledge built through years of experience to ANYBODY willing to listen and learn. No matter your age, you can always learn a new trick from someone young or old. Thank You for your effort.

So Don who appointed you "Americas Toolmaker"?

It appears you are the only one who has given him that title or perhaps imagined he somehow claimed that title. So what is the issue?

Why so sour Bunky....roids got you down?

Edit I didn't notice the blurb at the beginning of the video. But that a also shows how much it bothers me. ...not at all.

Being an avid reader of many technical forums…I think this one has the most vitriol of any on the internet. So Don starts his videos with a title “America’s Tool Maker” – so what…? He using that title does nothing to improve or detriment the coming substance of the video…a 3 second egocentric plug at worst – but SO WHAT…
Comments that do not in way advance the OPs original thought or question are just more ‘noise’ in the database…
My point – Practical machinist generates a hell of lot 'noise' anymore…and it’s not primarily from ‘greenhorns’ that did not read the rules. This thread is up to 12 posts with zero real info added to the thread…and this post has a lot of company…

My sucky contribution to YouTube is blowing shit up

Let me know if that's at work would you? I'd like to get stocked up on Dr. Pepper.

I like Don's stuff. I don't know if he really is "America's Toolmaker". I've know some really good ones over the years that are all gone now. I've got more hair than he does.

Don talked about having your own tools. When I was still working in shops, I had my own mics, my own C-clamps (Kant twist), my own angle plates, 123 blocks, parallels, drill bit sets, and reamers (+,-, on size). I tried to keep everything organized and clean. Most of the time, that meant keeping others out of my tool box.
JR

I've nominated Mr. Bailey a few times when I bought some of his tools. I think he did a good job with his Videos and I've told some of my ME students to watch them. I know SIP was just funnin' as I'm sure it didn't bother Don either..... it's what machinists do. But keep them coming Don, don't stop. And if you don't have anything Don has made look at some of his stuff, it's pretty darn good. -mateo

"My sucky contribution to YouTube is blowing shit up and shooting cannons.
i_r_machinist"

yes but that stuff is cool too!

I have no problem with Don. Some of his products are basic school and around for years…Yes the magnetic block squaring is new and a very good idea..His designs are very good as is the precision.. 0002 all around is very good in the best shop…so having good machines and practices. Perhaps giving away his ideas but anyone could buy his stuff and take, but making as well another story. Being a USA company and doing well that is very good.

Keep 'em coming Don.

I'm fascinated by the fact that every good skilled tradesman I know, has an extremely low irritation level. It appears as though Don's level is pretty close to mine. "Get you own dam indicator" could've shot out of my mouth today. Does the trade instill these traits, or do folks with these traits gravitate towards the trade?

Back