What's new
What's new

Tool room lathe.

newt

Aluminum
I am sorry if this sounds like a newbie question, I guess I still am, but what is the purpose of a tool room lathe? Why do you need one of those vs. a traditional engine lathe? I have heard that they are more accurate but how much more are we talking about? Can you not do the same thing with a good engine lathe?

Newt.

I believe a toolroom lathe is defined as having a bed width greater than it's swing, making it more stable, rigid, and capable of higher accuracy

Just semantics. I see Atlas lathes being called "toolroom lathes" regularly on Seattle CL :rolleyes5:

As for "engine" lathe, I guess the implication is that if you make engine parts on it, then it is an engine lathe.

In theory, the toolroom lathe can be of modest swing and C-C, but ought to be exceptionally accurate, with all manner of threading and taper capabilities, so that you can make ... tools :cool:.

Regards.

Mike

Besides grater accuracy a toolroom lathe might have leedscrew reversing , rapid retract Cross slide, attachment for reliving reamer flutes and others I'm sure
Theres also the likely hood that a toolroom lathe may have been better cared for than the garden variety.

GOOGLE " TOOLROOM LATHE " and click on "Images" for a good show. Hardinge made some of the best. Weiler had the special option being able to switch from a gear driven spindle to a belt driven spindle for a smoother cut. Toolroom lathes like toolroom mills had to be more universal. Look up No. 2 B & S universal mill.

Everyone can have their own perspective of what a toolroom lathe is, mine it that if it spins faster than 1800rpm, it's a toolroom lathe. I've not seeing an "engine" lathe spin faster than that.

Tom

As for "engine" lathe, I guess the implication is that if you make engine parts on it, then it is an engine lathe.
Heh heh heh. But no, seriously, folks. An "engine" lathe is one with its own motor, the term being introduced when most machine tools were operated by leather belts from pulleys on overhead shafts. By that definition, any lathe made for the last couple of generations is an engine lathe.

So, unless you are thinking about antique machinery, think of toolroom lathes as a subset of engine lathes. High precision, lots of convenience features for fussy work, not intended for mass production.

Rubbish.:)

An engine lathe is one that moves its own cutting tools - I.E., self feeding

You could have the motor down at the end of the shop (as many were in the line shaft era) and it would still be an engine lathe.

Any lathe that is in a tool room is a tool room lathe. If in the main shop it is a engine lathe.At least that is what they will tell you in my part of the world.

I guess that means anyone standing in a machine shop is a machinist! :scratchchin: ....At least that's what they think down in Houston

Many years ago, one of our draftsmen finished a set of drawings for a military project. We wound up taking them to an outside job that we hadn't used before. We sat down with the foreman and reviewed them to be sure that there wasn't a loose end or two. He looked at the drawings and said NO PROBLEM. The draftsman was a little curious how much military they machined, so he asked the foreman if all the MIL-SPEC tolerance and finish notations made sense. He looked at us and sure - they mean "Make It Nice". I guess it's easier to make it nice with a toolroom lathe.....

Mine (TUM35 14x40) spins at 2500. It's no tool room lathe.

Are you sure? It doesn't have to look like a Hardinge or Monarch 10EE to be a Tool room lathe, IMO.

First pic is of the one you speak of, correct me if I'm wrong, the second is one I just bought. It's a Leblond Dual Drive with a top of 2400rpm. Beefy with speed. Not equating it with the TUM35, but a tool room lathe doesn't have to look prissy to perform.

Tom

DSC_8469Medium.jpg

LeBlonde%20Dual%20Drive.jpg

Are you sure? It doesn't have to look like a Hardinge or Monarch 10EE to be a Tool room lathe, IMO.

First pic is of the one you speak of, correct me if I'm wrong, the second is one I just bought. It's a Leblond Dual Drive with a top of 2400rpm. Beefy with speed. Not equating it with the TUM35, but a tool room lathe doesn't have to look prissy to perform.

Call mine what you want :) I think of it as a small engine lathe (whatever that is). If I call it a tool room lathe a bunch will tell me it isn't.

It cant be an engine lathe as it spins over 1800rpm . lol...

The post about "billet" sums it up.

Here is a picture of one in case you wondered. Not small, not prissy, not fast. Must of been for larger tool making. Has lead screw reverse at apron, and this one is set up with its relieving attachment:

Old Hendey Op Man Scan :: 045.jpg picture by johnoder - Photobucket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/Old Hendey Op Man Scan/045.jpg

Here is another:

16 LS Tool Room :: Scan01.jpg picture by johnoder - Photobucket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/16 LS Tool Room/Scan01.jpg

Last edited:

Back